Laptop for StarCraft II

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737
Laptop for StarCraft II

Post by bassmasta » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:12 pm

As the title says, I'm looking in to getting a laptop soon, to play games like Starcraft II and other RTS's. Blizzard hasn't released the specs for SCII yet, but they've said
Blizzard, according to [url=http://starcraft.incgamers.com/articles/comments/starcraft-2-graphics-requirements-confirmed]this site[/url] wrote: For Starcraft II, we wanted to maximize compatibility with less capable systems to ensure hassle-free game play for as broad a player base as possible. Yet we also wanted to utilize the full potential of any available hardware to ensure the game's looks were competitive. This meant supporting a wide range of hardware, from ATI Radeon 9800/NVIDIA GeForce FX's to the ATI Radeon HD 4800s and NVIDIA GeForce G200s
So, I thought I would need at least a Core 2 Duo and a decent mobile graphics card. Would a geforce 9300M be able to run it in medium detail at 1280x800? I've been looking at this laptop and was wondering if it would work.
Thanks.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

NateN34
Steam ID:NateN34

Re: Laptop for StarCraft II

Post by NateN34 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 pm

I highly doubt that would be able to play the game on medium. It could probably play it on low at 800x600 with around 30 fps. That is not a good card at all. To give you a comparison, I have a laptop with a Core 2 Duo and a 9600m gt 512mb and it can only run L4D 2 at around 45 fps on medium with a 1366x768 resolution. Try to either get a 9600m gt (make sure its DDR3, since DDR2 is crap). Or try to get a 8800m gts or gt130m or above.
overlordlink wrote:alright well i was kinda deabating whether or not to finish my SnesP, Or to slightly romance something that existed to met my needs but it appears as if im gonna stick with the SnesP. At least for now lol

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Yeah. That laptop had DDR2 memory anyway.
I thought about it, and I realized I don't have the money at the moment to spend ATM, so I'm going to put off research until later, because computer tech evolves pretty fast. Thanks for the help.
I found this site pretty useful though.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

smith

Post by smith » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:51 am

I am thinking about buying a G1S or a C90S for this laptop.
Do i have to get a 17 inches if i want play a high settings???

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 pm

smith wrote:I am thinking about buying a G1S or a C90S for this laptop.
Do i have to get a 17 inches if i want play a high settings???
The monitor size doesn't matter, you just need a good graphics card (or 2 in SLI/crossfire) and a good CPU.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:12 pm

ATI Radeon 9800/NVIDIA GeForce FX's
That's not much. What you have should easily handle it. Too bad you don't have any money for the game, but thanks for letting me know about it.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:47 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:
That's not much. What you have should easily handle it. Too bad you don't have any money for the game, but thanks for letting me know about it.
Well I had looked at it, and I decided on just going all out-getting a high end system. I found the Asus G73JH with the Mobility 5870 I like (about the best card on the market now) but I dislike the underclocked Core i7 it comes with. I'm more of an AMD fan-do you know if AMD has an equivalent Phenom or something processor? Or does Intel just smoke AMD?

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:19 pm

bassmasta wrote:
nevermind1534 wrote:
Well I had looked at it, and I decided on just going all out-getting a high end system. I found the Asus G73JH with the Mobility 5870 I like (about the best card on the market now) but I dislike the underclocked Core i7 it comes with. I'm more of an AMD fan-do you know if AMD has an equivalent Phenom or something processor? Or does Intel just smoke AMD?
AMD has pretty much nothing that compares to the i7 CPUs. AMD has some good value stuff, but in terms of raw power, yes, Intel "just smokes" AMD. :lol:
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:46 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:AMD has pretty much nothing that compares to the i7 CPUs. AMD has some good value stuff, but in terms of raw power, yes, Intel "just smokes" AMD. :lol:
What I meant actually was does AMD have a mobile processor that won't bottleneck a 5870? I havent found a laptop with AMD CPU+5870M (yet).

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:14 pm

bassmasta wrote:
nevermind1534 wrote:
As far as I know, Intel is the only one with quad core CPUs for laptops. It also has hyper-threading, so it can run 8 threads simultaneously (windows will see 8 CPUs!).
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:19 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:As far as I know, Intel is the only one with quad core CPUs for laptops. It also has hyper-threading, so it can run 8 threads simultaneously (windows will see 8 CPUs!).
Hmm. If AMD rolls one out by the time I have money, then maybe I'll get one.
Thanks.

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:01 am

bassmasta wrote:
lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:AMD has pretty much nothing that compares to the i7 CPUs. AMD has some good value stuff, but in terms of raw power, yes, Intel "just smokes" AMD. :lol:
What I meant actually was does AMD have a mobile processor that won't bottleneck a 5870? I havent found a laptop with AMD CPU+5870M (yet).
For portability Intel has always been ahead of the game, as AMD is focused on desktops and towers. from a stationary standpoint i think AMD might be better, and as pointed out more suitable for a small budget.

also seeing as how they bought ATI, readeon graphics have never been better ^_^