Do any of you know anything about Touchscreen Kits?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Biased
Do any of you know anything about Touchscreen Kits?

Post by Biased » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Heyo, I'm interested in getting either a widescreen touch monitor or a cheap widescreen monitor and putting on a touchscreen kit. If you've worked with either, could you tell me how well an add-on kit works or if they have multi-touch functionality?

Any knowledge is appreciated because I'm thinking about starting with a touchscreen and then either attaching a nettop to the back of it or fashioning some sort of all-in-one.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: Do any of you know anything about Touchscreen Kits?

Post by vskid » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:02 pm

All the touchscreen kits I've seen are resistive, so no multitouch.
I think it would probably be best if you just bought an all-in-one with a touchscreen, especially if you want multitouch. The HP TouchSmart all-in-ones start at $800, probably cheaper than an LCD, touchscreen, and nettop, and probably better performance. Or if you're set on making one, buy a netbook, make it flat (flip the screen over to the back, or put it over the keyboard), and put a touchscreen on it. 8)

Biased

Post by Biased » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Alright then, I'll prolly just get a dell 22" touch monitor since they have multitouch functionality and stuff a net top-sized pc on the back. There are Mini-ITX boards that have socket 775 :D This'll be further down the road though, once I have moneys again. Thanks vskid.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:01 am

Is this the screen you're talking about? That seems like an awful lot to spend just for multitouch. I would at least make sure that multitouch would be useful to you, you could probably find a TouchSmart on display in-store somewhere that you could try out.

Biased

Post by Biased » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:19 am

Nasty. The price wasn't that horrible a few weeks ago. Sad face.