Best PC GPS Program

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3
Best PC GPS Program

Post by vskid » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:44 pm

The speedometer (and I assume the odometer) in my truck is off. I want to be able to track my gas mileage, and an accurate distance is required to compare my mileage to others. I have a Holux M1000 bluetooth GPS receiver and a couple old laptops (PII, 64mb ram; PIII, 256mb ram) I could use, but I'm not sure what program to use. I don't really need maps, just a speedometer/odometer. Microsoft Streets and Trips is nice, but I'm not sure if it can track the distance traveled over several sessions. Anyone know of any free/cheap solutions?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Best PC GPS Program

Post by bicostp » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:34 pm

Who gives a damn about fuel economy with a truck? :P :lol: [/redneck]

Why not just get the speedometer calibrated? How 'off' is it?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:35 pm

I care because I'm the one paying for gas. :P This tank is my benchmark to see what it would get with average Joe driving it (fairly fast accelerating, etc). Then I'll base my goals on that (I'm hoping 25-30mpg highway, but that'll need some aerodynamics mods and such).
I'm not sure why the speedometer is off. I'm pretty sure everything is more or less stock. At ~25mph its 2-3mph off, goes up to 5 off at 35mph. The first day I drove it I thought everyone else was going fast because I had to go 5-10 over to keep up. :lol: I plan on getting different tires soon, and I might get 2 sets (onroad and offroad), so any calibration would probably be a waste.
So, a GPS is pretty much my best option, and using hardware I already have makes it even better.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:47 am

vskid wrote:I'm not sure why the speedometer is off. I'm pretty sure everything is more or less stock. At ~25mph its 2-3mph off, goes up to 5 off at 35mph.
So the error correlates directly with speed... at about 15% higher than true.

Perhaps the wheels are the wrong size. If they were too small, it would take more revolutions of the tire to go the same distance - thus, the speedometer would register a faster speed than what you were actually going.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:17 pm

This One

not sure if it's just for phones or not.