mtg - game on multiple consoles.

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

b_w_johan
mtg - game on multiple consoles.

Post by b_w_johan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 am

Hi,

First i'll give some info on what i'm doing and what i'm making, and then i'll ask the question why i started this post.

I've had the idea of making a game for my PC wich is based on the card/trading game Magic: The Gathering.
There is an original MTGO game by the producers of the cards, but the servers are bad and it doesn't support multiplayer.
Then there are like several games based on, but they are also 1 on 1, or they don't follow the gamerules.

So i came up with the idea to make a MTG online version on wich you can play with multiple persons. And it should follow the (strict) game rules so you can learn to play Magic the way you should.

At the moment i have the following, a database with several sample cards and there rules, and a server wich follows the basic rules for players ... also i made a win text only demo thingy to see if my protocol/server/database handle correctly.

Now i come to the point to work this out further.

then i thought maybe i could ask those questions here.

Wich consoles support homebrew? And have WIFI since all clients should connect to my server.
so far i just came up with PC/XBOX/DS... any more suggestions.

and then the second question, anyone interested in helping me with this project?
i can do the pc/windows part and i've made a sample for DS (to play with that R4)(not yet tested the MTGgame on DS, just a sample to see how that R4 works)

So hope to hear if anyone is interested, and likes to help out.

also searching for testers .. only pre/must is that you kinda know how Magic The Gathering works...

Scottery

Re: mtg - game on multiple consoles.

Post by Scottery » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:21 pm

psp has homebrew....

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:38 am

Scottery wrote:psp has homebrew....
and WIFI? i'm only familliar with nintendo ;)

can you make games for the PSP? maybe youre interested in making a version for PSP?

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:16 pm

The PSP does have WiFi.

Scottery

Post by Scottery » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:07 pm

ya psp has wifi and people do make homebrew games
but I dont know how to make them and I dont know how to platy magic (i did have play a demo disc once lol)

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:41 am

Wii's got homebrew if you install the homebrew channel or something of the like.

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:55 pm

i did thought about the wii, forgot to mention it ;)
i was thinking about some flash application ... or what was the plugin you could use for the wii browser?

by the way, do other (hand)consoles have webbrowsers to with the same flash or whatever support? thatway i can reach multiple systems as well :D

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:07 pm

PSP has Flash, wii has Flash, and my N810 has flash. Flash is coming to the iphone/ipod touch soon, as well.

For an action heave game, it may be too resource intensive, but for cards? Yeah, Flash is the way to go. :wink:

Oh, and if you by chance did this for Pokemon card, consider me aboard. :lol: I even have high res scans of ALL the old series card, and a few of the later gens.

Excellent

Scottery

Post by Scottery » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:05 pm

palmertech wrote:PSP has Flash, wii has Flash, and my N810 has flash. Flash is coming to the iphone/ipod touch soon, as well.

For an action heave game, it may be too resource intensive, but for cards? Yeah, Flash is the way to go. :wink:

Oh, and if you by chance did this for Pokemon card, consider me aboard. :lol: I even have high res scans of ALL the old series card, and a few of the later gens.
do you have charizard lol?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:19 pm

Excellent

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:26 pm

good god! I have that card somewhere! ahh the memories...ahhh the good ol days *satisfied eurddrue*
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:33 pm

I should set up a webcam stream, we could play pokemon cards that way.

The other idea I had was using a barcode scanner on a card bed, with a small mirror ridge facing the lower edge of the card. It would be trivial to use the series number and date info to allow the thin stripe it would scan to be recognized as a card number and pull up the correct scan from a database.

I talked to the guy who made that online pokemon battle sim for the GBC games, he had source... I wonder how hard it would be to implement a card reader system that pulls up 3D models for a battle sim online (The models could come from Battle Revolution, the format they are stored in is the same as Brawl, and that has been reverse-engineered.)

Excellent

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:36 pm

your post cound is 1776 :lol:
I have no webcam, that could be a major problem. And all of my rare/holos went through the washing machine :( 5 years of collecting pwned in 30 minutes or less, or your money back. Now all I have are cards like weedle :lol:
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:49 am

palmertech wrote:PSP has Flash, wii has Flash, and my N810 has flash. Flash is coming to the iphone/ipod touch soon, as well.

Hey Shouldn't be to hard, they sort of have same idea for playing (mostly since pokemon was the cheap copy for mtg, and it was nicer to little childeren)

but i think i could make a version for pokemon to.

a problem could be though that using names and abbility's is probably okee, but using copyrighted images could be some trouble i guess...

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:00 pm

you mean something like this?
Apprentice
M2010 Edition "patch"

2 player online. getting it to work with a console or handheld might be a little tricky and doesn't have actual cards as that's illegal. Good for deck building and playtesting.

also here's pokemon online if you're interested in that. not the CCG. it's basically an MMO of pokemon.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FJ9HDGVB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;