GBA SP power connector

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

SUCCESSOR
GBA SP power connector

Post by SUCCESSOR » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:32 am

I have a GBA SP with a power connector that does not work for some reason. I remember having to wiggle the power cord to get it to charge back in the day (circa 2004) and the problem got progressively worse till it wouldn't charge at all.

Tonight i opened up the case and connected the brand new charger that came in the mail today. When I squeeze and twist a little the charging light comes on but wont stay on even when i hold it the same way as i did to make it come on.

First of all I am hoping there is a way to fix this without replacing the connector. It seems to me something is just not making a good connection. But I know almost nothing of these things.

Upon the likelihood that i can't fix it I am wondering if I can charge the battery safely by connecting the the wires from the charger directly to the contacts on the battery. Sort of making a charging dock for the battery.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: GBA SP power connector

Post by hailrazer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:36 am

Most likely the charging jack inside the GBA is loose and needs to be re-soldered.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

SUCCESSOR

Post by SUCCESSOR » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:21 pm

I thought that but all the solders on the pins look solid. Maybe a tiny crack that isnt visible? If I had a soldering iron right now i would get on that but I am broke.

Any answer on whether the power can go directly to the batter and a temporary solution till i can re-solder?

SUCCESSOR

Post by SUCCESSOR » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:11 am

I am looking into ways of charging the SP. I am wondering if it could handle a charger that puts out around 500mA. Would this cause any problems with the circuitry or battery?