gba sp won't charge

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

johnnyg88
gba sp won't charge

Post by johnnyg88 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 pm

hey guys,

new to the forum here.

my gba sp charge light goes on for a second and then goes out when i plug it in to charge. i've tried finding a replacement mobo but no luck there, i've only found ags 001 boards.

this one is a gba sp ags 101. i have 2 broken gba sp ags 001. one of them (blue) has the same problem and broken buttons. the third (silver) has a broken screen, but it doesn't have the charger problem so i've been using it as a charger for my gba sp batteries.

are there any known solutions? i just ordered a tri wing screw driver so that i can open them up and peek inside. maybe the ac port needs to be re seated and resoldered? can i simply take the ac port from the one of the older sp's and put it on my main gba sp?

any help would be great. thanks guys

jg

johnnyg88

Re: gba sp won't charge

Post by johnnyg88 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:21 pm

i tried bridging fuses F1 and F2 for testing purposes and nothing happened. i'm not totally sure if i did it right, but I placed a drop of solder on the fuses. any ideas??

thanks

jg

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Are you certain that is is not the charger/power supply ?

johnnyg88

Post by johnnyg88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:29 am

The charger I have successfully charges 2 other gameboys as well as all 3 batteries that I have. This one particular gameboy just won't charge for some reason.

thanks

jg

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Does your multimeter have a diode tester?

johnnyg88

Post by johnnyg88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:42 pm

yes it does, is there something i can check with it??

thanks again

jg

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:56 pm

Check that the diodes and transistors are still okay(ish).

Razzlegames

Post by Razzlegames » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:55 am

Did you find an answer to this issue? I have checked both F1 and F2 fuses and both are still good.

I was thinking the voltage regulator near the F1 fuse...? From what I remember from my old EE circuits classes, I will probably have to remove this to test though... and I have no idea the parameters for replacement.
My game Dev blog: http://timecubepuzzle.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Art: http://razzlegames.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:52 am

NEVER BRIDGE THE FUSES.

You have probably blown something else when you did that.

Razzlegames

Post by Razzlegames » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:06 pm

RE never bridging:

Just for a couple tests? Unless there is a short drawing a large current load, I doubt there will be an issue for a couple tests. Note: If there is a short on the board you have much bigger issues (that replacing the fuse will not solve, it will blow out immediately). Your mileage may vary, but I've rarely seen issues with bridging a fuse to test functionality.

In the long run, yes, replace the fuses. I have quite a bit of SMB 0603 375ma fuses (works on DS as well), if anyone is interested.

Turns out my issue could be with EM10 filter (or similar naming on SP). I thought it was a voltage regulator at first but it looks different and I think it's a filter...
My game Dev blog: http://timecubepuzzle.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Art: http://razzlegames.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;