Another GBA:SP in a DMG Case - Need some help with tacts

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Aereolaite
Another GBA:SP in a DMG Case - Need some help with tacts

Post by Aereolaite » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've been working on and off this project for a few weeks now, and, basically, I'm putting my GBA:SP inside an Original Gameboy casing. I know you've all seen it before, but I'd really like to do it too.

I've gone through 3 SP's so far. (First one I ruined trying to desolder the cartridge slot, the second I ruined trying to relocate the power switch, and the third I ruined by accidentally shorting the motherboard while not properly securing the battery when testing out buttons.

So here are a few pictures of where I'm at. (I know, I didn't do the best dremel-job, but it will suffice for a first modding project.)

Front cover with SP screen inside. Bad dremel job, but hey, it works. (Oh, and I don't know why but this picture makes it look like my DMG is.. curved? Well, it's not.)

Back cover. The black buttons are the L and R buttons, and the big tangle of wires is soldered to an extra cartridge slot for relocation.

Battery cover. The rechargeable battery is superglued to the cover along with an extra "battery connection port". I will end up soldering the wires to where the battery connection port-thingy is on the motherboard.

Salvaged headphone jack from the DMG. Not sure exactly how to connect it to the SP motherboard, any advice? I'd like to use the original speaker and headphone jack, and make it so that whenever I plug in the headphones, the sound turns off from the speakers.

Cut-off part of the DMG motherboard, what I will be connecting to the tact switches with. This is my main question:

How do I connect the tact switches on the SP motherboard to the tact switches on the DMG motherboard? I tried soldering, but I realized that the DMG motherboard doesn't have anything to actually solder to, based on the picture of what I'm using, anyway. Any help?

Thanks everyone.

Aereolaite

Re: Another GBA:SP in a DMG Case - Need some help with tacts

Post by Aereolaite » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Update.

So, with my limited knowledge of wiring, I just realized that I could simply scratch off part of the board to show the copper and solder to that. Makes my life easier!

So now my question will be refined to:

Should I wire to the contacts on the SP board underneath the tact switch, or on the sides of the tact switch (where the switch is connected to the board)?

I'll post pics of what I mean in a few minutes.

EDIT: Here are some pics.

(Sorry for the small font) This picture shows the exposed copper that I'm going to solder to on the DMG motherboard. Should I simply solder one side of the tact switch to one of the two parts of the exposed copper, and the other side to the other part? If that makes any sense...

(Sorry again for the small font) This one shows what's beneath the tact switches on the SP motherboard. Should I wire from the corners to the DMG motherboard, or from the spots on the switch?

Thanks again.

SPCL
PSN Username:misterpony
360 GamerTag:yourlilpony

Post by SPCL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:22 am

You can also get an old NES controller and use it - BONUS points, you can swap out the NES A/B buttons for the DMG ones. :) Here's Bacteria's tutorial that I followed:

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=19038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modgyver
360 GamerTag:tech5mods

Post by Modgyver » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:59 pm

turn on the gameboy put a game in, and while its on get a wire and by pass both ends until you see it work, when you do you will find your answer, if it doesnt do anything nothing bad will happen..you will not blow another fuse..