SP in a GBC/GBP Project

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

zzaz3
SP in a GBC/GBP Project

Post by zzaz3 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:39 pm

About a year ago I posted something on here about doing a project like this, but I wasn't experienced and didn't have enough time to do it. Now that I know more about what I'm doing and have a few GBP shells laying around, I've decided to take on this project.

Before I get started, I have a few questions:

Is it possible to run a GBA SP on 3V of power? My SP's battery and charging port are both fryed and I think it would be neat to use AAA batteries like the original GBP.

Would I have to adjust the case to make the screen fit or could I some how make the screen display a smaller screen?

Last time when I asked about this project, there were a few people who have done things like it already. How did you guys go about doing it?

Thanks!! :mrgreen:

chainfire95

Re: SP in a GBC/GBP Project

Post by chainfire95 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:32 am

With my project I cut out a larger hole in the DMG case for the screen and had a custom screen cover cut and painted.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

zzaz3

Post by zzaz3 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:25 am

Yeah, I was thinking that I'd need to find a new screen cover. How did you make it?

Also, how did you go about cramming that motherboard into the GBP? Did you use a dremel or what?

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm working on an original game boy, not the pocket. I had my screen cut at a professional business located nearby my home.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

JariV

Post by JariV » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 am

You could prabarly just use thin plexi for the screencover.
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:42 am

thats what I used.

Dan the HERO

Post by Dan the HERO » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm glad I found this thread. I was reading the one you mentioned before (found it in a google search a couple hours ago), and that palmertech guy really helped in the old thread.

I'd like to tackle this sort of project too; putting a GBA SP in a GBA housing, while only modifying the screen (keeping the battery door and cartridge slot in tact if I can).

Do you have any pictures of your previous project that you can post? Do the guts of the SP fit nicely in the GBP? Do the D-pad and buttons match to the SP internals?