Backlit Gameboy Pocket COMPLETED!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Very nice job, to both of you.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:50 am

No offense to anyone, but am I the only one who finds it rude that bibin hijacked this thread... :?
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:35 am

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about nor have not been listening at all. I started the project months ago, and palmer and I have been discussing this on Google Talk frequently, trying to find various methods of formatting the LCD screen to accept a light source placed behind it, as well as methods of producing light.

Recently it's been a small in-joke to try and beat the other in posting our back/frontlighting projects before the other; I beat him with my frontlit GBA, but he defeated me with his backlit GameBoy pocket.

Read up on your context before interjecting such nonsense.

Relevant threads:

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=27338
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=25764

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:39 am

Yeah, this was a joint effort, wasn't it?

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:46 am

Yes, and it still is, as we're not fully finished yet. I figured out what's wrong with mine, now it's just a matter of getting around to do it.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:No offense to anyone, but am I the only one who finds it rude that bibin hijacked this thread... :?
You came down a bit hard on him, Bibin. He was actually pretty polite about it, and it seems a bit much to expect someone with only 139 posts to research how our in in-joke works. :lol: Especially when most of it is not visible to the rest of the forum.

Bibin had this idea a long time ago, I saw it on some other board. He was planning on using EL film, but his main problem was getting the reflective layer off the back without adhesive sticking. Me and him have spent a lot of time talking about how best to remove it, and I came up with a method that made his idea practical.

I have a new idea that yields PERFECT results with little effort ( I used it for this one), but Bibin is being stubborn and does not have the guts to try it. :P

In this case, he had a lot of the idea, I was just able to put it into practice by changing a few things up. The opposite happened with the frontlit GBA, I came up with the concept, got it working barely, then killed it. It was Bibin who made a few tweaks and was actually able to get it working. :D

On topic: I just emailed Bibin about this, I found a brand new way to do this, and am working on it now. This is a major breakthrough, it makes the LCD for the gbp not gray tinted at all, pure white, with EXTREMELY dark, crisp blacks. The main reason it is exciting is because I could probably apply this to the original Gameboy DMG, making the pea-soup green LCD look REALLY nice. I will post some more details after figuring out exactly why my new method works so well, and how to streamline the application a bit.

Excellent

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:29 pm

palmertech wrote: I have a new idea that yields PERFECT results with little effort ( I used it for this one), but Bibin is being stubborn and does not have the guts to try it. :P
Remember when I tried it, and it ruined my LCD? :roll:

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:08 pm

I got the whole running joke competition thing, I just didn't realize you were actually working TOGETHER.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:10 pm

Bibin wrote:
palmertech wrote: I have a new idea that yields PERFECT results with little effort ( I used it for this one), but Bibin is being stubborn and does not have the skillzto try it. :P
fix'd. :lol:

I think I know how to fix it. The back polar layer has two parts, transmissive and reflective of equal wavelengths. You must have only removed the back part of the film. You need to go all the way down to the glass.

DO IT! :D And for pete's sake, get an exacto! :lol:

Excellent

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:18 pm

I thought Bibin and palmertech hated each other? :lol:

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dimefan90

Post by dimefan90 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:21 pm

once again i must say, this is awesome.

can wait to see the results of the new find

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:18 pm

palmertech wrote:
Bibin wrote:
palmertech wrote: I have a new idea that yields PERFECT results with little effort ( I used it for this one), but Bibin is being stubborn and does not have the skillzto try it. :P
fix'd. :lol:

I think I know how to fix it. The back polar layer has two parts, transmissive and reflective of equal wavelengths. You must have only removed the back part of the film. You need to go all the way down to the glass.

DO IT! :D And for pete's sake, get an exacto! :lol:
I have three exactos; this is not the issue. I got it down to the glass; the problem is that the LCD only displays garbage lines with nothing related to what should be on the screen.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:29 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:I thought Bibin and palmertech hated each other? :lol:

SS
In the beginning, I think that I was angry at Bibin for flaming me in my frontlit GBA thread, saying that he thought I was lying or such. I do not remember the exact sequence of events, but I think we got on google chat to yell at each other or something. :lol:

We ended up helping each other, our skills complement each other, and I think that to date, we have spent more time hacking the gameboy pocket than anyone else on the planet. :lol:

Also, GBC can be backlit is my new theory, still trying to figure out how to put the idea into practice.

Excellent

dimefan90

Post by dimefan90 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:21 am

i hope its possible to backlight a gbc. i also want to try and light my gba. i cant find any gba sp cheap enough to justify it.

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:28 am

Good work you two, glad to see our members working together.

I still don't understand what the big problem is with the GBA sp, it's comfy to me, and I really don't mind the lack of mushy. Maybe mine's just worn out, it feels close to the same as any controller button.