GBA SP front light on original GBA? EDIT: YES! pix soon!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:34 pm

I am about to go to sleep, but short answer: Yes, but hard to remount if not in DS screen screen case.

Excellent

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:15 pm

I congradulate you! I'll be trying this once I get my SP back from my cousin.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:16 pm

I just found my AfterBurner - the problem is that it's in pieces. I may be able to use the glass piece that diffuses light given to it from the bottom, and just use some LED's of my own.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:16 am

Bibin wrote:I just found my AfterBurner - the problem is that it's in pieces. I may be able to use the glass piece that diffuses light given to it from the bottom, and just use some LED's of my own.
The AfterBurner perspex piece looks very "griddy" hence is not great when working on the system - you get a pixilated effect. You also need to use an anti-glare layer on the LCD to make it look less washed out.

Bibin (or anyone else) - I have an AfterBurner perspex piece, works (see below pic) although I don't have the rest of the kit (ie solder points, no idea what resistor it used either). Make me an offer if you want to buy it from me.

The 4.5v Li-po battery was from an Ipod mini which I bought for £4 and modded to connect to an amp and speakers as a stereo unit. The AfterBurner seems happy at 4.5v or 3v

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:11 am

lol bacteria, it looks heavenly! :lol:
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:14 am

Bacteria, how much do you want? Maybe we can arrange something, I would love to have an afterburner to compare to my other backlighting efforts. I am determined to find a way to do this reliably for under $15 (Broken GBA SPs on ebay are not reliable).

Also, please do not run it at 4.5. It will live for about 10 seconds before frying.

Excellent

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:17 pm

bacteria wrote:
Bibin wrote:I just found my AfterBurner - the problem is that it's in pieces. I may be able to use the glass piece that diffuses light given to it from the bottom, and just use some LED's of my own.
The AfterBurner perspex piece looks very "griddy" hence is not great when working on the system - you get a pixilated effect. You also need to use an anti-glare layer on the LCD to make it look less washed out.

Bibin (or anyone else) - I have an AfterBurner perspex piece, works (see below pic) although I don't have the rest of the kit (ie solder points, no idea what resistor it used either). Make me an offer if you want to buy it from me.

The 4.5v Li-po battery was from an Ipod mini which I bought for £4 and modded to connect to an amp and speakers as a stereo unit. The AfterBurner seems happy at 4.5v or 3v

I have the antiglare film still on my LCD. I'll trade you for a Palm Zire 71, with a color screen and built-in camera. It works too. PM me about it.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:18 pm

palmertech wrote:Bacteria, how much do you want? Maybe we can arrange something, I would love to have an afterburner to compare to my other backlighting efforts. I am determined to find a way to do this reliably for under $15 (Broken GBA SPs on ebay are not reliable).

Also, please do not run it at 4.5. It will live for about 10 seconds before frying.
Sorry, I call dibs :P I'll happily give you the parts to my afterburner if I get his - the perspex piece and light distributor are working fine; I held some LED's up to it and it successfully lit up the paper I was holding it against; you may be able to use it.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Hey, I posted first! :evil:
:lol:

No problem really, I need to AIM you for some other stuff. Installing Pidgin on this computer, then we can talk.

Guess who just backlit a GBP with a DS Lite backlight? :wink: It is incredible! The GB light (Japanese) was ok, but this is like the difference between the ds phat and the ds lite. Seriously. Actually, even MORE!

Excellent

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:59 pm

palmertech wrote:Guess who just backlit a GBP with a DS Lite backlight? :wink:
Sweet, that pretty much confirms that a TI calculator screen will look good with one. And now I have a job to fund it! (though I won't get paid for a month)

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:20 pm

I am trying a few different things, the DS Lite backlight is half fried (One of the two LEDs blew). Not my fualt, it was already like this when I got the busted DS. This is fun, why has no one ever done this? I mean, all these people come up with fancy methods for backlighting old consoles, half of them would not even work, and it seems that in three days I have gotten more done than all of them combined! :lol:

Not really my skillz that do it, it is the fact that we have access to better tech than when people were using the afterburner and such. Does anybody here have a neo geo pocket color?

Excellent

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:29 pm

palmertech wrote:I am trying a few different things, the DS Lite backlight is half fried (One of the two LEDs blew). Not my fualt, it was already like this when I got the busted DS. This is fun, why has no one ever done this? I mean, all these people come up with fancy methods for backlighting old consoles, half of them would not even work, and it seems that in three days I have gotten more done than all of them combined! :lol:
Why do you keep saying "backlight" ?

You aren't using a backlight you are using a frontlight from an SP right ?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Read my earlier post. I am getting some busted SPs on ebay, going to use the frontlights to frontlight a GBA and maybe a GBC.

In the MEANWHILE... I am using the DS Lite backlight panel to BACKLIGHT a gameboy pocket. Capiche?

Excellent

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:35 pm

palmertech wrote:Read my earlier post. I am getting some busted SPs on ebay, going to use the frontlights to frontlight a GBA and maybe a GBC.

In the MEANWHILE... I am using the DS Lite backlight panel to BACKLIGHT a gameboy pocket. Capiche?
So the GB pocket has a tft screen that can be backlit, but the GBA and GB color don't? They have to be frontlit right ?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:37 pm

Exactly. GBA and GBC must be frontlit, but the GBP and GBO can both be backlit. Some people have done it with EL foil, but the result is not very stunning.

Excellent