PSP get!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Bibin
PSP get!

Post by Bibin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:51 pm

So I just got a free PSP. The catch? Cracked screen. The fix? 40 dollars off of amazon. It's in the mail right now, but once I get it replaced, I'll fill in on how it is.

As for the PSP itself, it runs great; I can hear it and see a few lines of what should be text. I can make out about two words, but the giant spider crack prevents much else.

It has no memory card though, but... once I get one, I need to know what it'll take to get homebrew on this.

I'd prefer to not have to make a pandora's battery/stick, since I have no other PSP with 1.5 on it.

I have no interest whatsover in the commercial games for it, since I have yet to see one I'd pay over ten dollars for.

I'm really just interested in

-Nes
-SNES
-Genesis
-More Genesis
-GameBoy/Color
-GBA?
-N64??!
-Useful apps (like VNC, Remote Desktop, better media players)

Is there a simple easy guide for all of this? Can I update the firmware to the latest homebrew-executable one with just a memory stick, from this firmware?

Also, I have no idea what the firmware is, but I do know it was last updated around last May.

Does it matter what firmware I have here to upgrade to the latest firmware with hombrew enabled? If I need to buy a game, screw it.

XPCportables

Re: PSP get!

Post by XPCportables » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:04 pm

Bibin wrote: I have no interest whatsover in the commercial games for it, since I have yet to see one I'd pay over ten dollars for.
MGS:Portable Ops?

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:11 pm

Hmm, missed that one. that's a maybe. It just seems that 90% of PSP games are either racing, shoot junk, or shoot junk while racing.

Can I possibly run homebrew without having to buy that foolish GTA game?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: PSP get!

Post by vskid » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:39 pm

-Nes - NesterJ
-SNES - Snes9xTYL
-GBA? - gpSP
-N64??! - Daedalus
-Useful apps (like VNC, Remote Desktop, better media players) - :
PortableVNC - Explains itself
irShell - Allows you to play music in-game/homebrew, file manager
WiFiSniffer - Find wireless networks easily
AFKIM - Instant messenging client
PimpStreamer - Can stream media files from your computer

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:42 pm

I will downgrade your PSP to 1.50 then upgrade to any custom firmware for the cost of shipping only. PM me.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:51 pm

Err... Dunno about that, I'm already having to replace the screen once, and the mail system seems to hate LCD screens. However, an AIM/MSN/hamachi based walkthrough would be greatly appreciated.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:54 pm

Bibin wrote:Err... Dunno about that, I'm already having to replace the screen once, and the mail system seems to hate LCD screens. However, an AIM/MSN/hamachi based walkthrough would be greatly appreciated.
Pack it in bubble wrap and it will be fine.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:01 pm

I'll think about it, though I'd like to try it myself. If I mess it up and brick it, could I then send it to you, and you could unbrick + put latest open firmware on it?

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:38 pm

We have a topic that tells you how to unBrick a PSP. Just in case you do Brick it.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=21280

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:59 am

You need to get daedalus for n64 or whatever it's called. I don't have a psp but my friend has one filled with nothing but homebrew and Katamari and daedalus is awesome. It can't run to many roms but it can do Starfox and Super Smash Bros which is enough. I really don't understand why sony doesn't just team up with SEGA and port over all those awesome DC games. The PSP is powerful enough and if I could play JSR or some other awesome games like that I would buy a psp whether its a sacrilege or not,
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:16 am

all you need is here

http://forums.exophase.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

those guides are very precise, I personally could use them without a hitch
good luck and remember the most important thing to prevent bricking is to fully charge your battery, and to plug it into the ac outlet while performing the firmware updates, this is the key way to prevent bricking, there are a few other ways but they are expressed in the tutorials

Good luck
~Krepticor

PS. you probably want to go in this order

X.XX firmware -> 3.50 -> lumines exploit(doesn't require the use of a pandora with a jig kit stick) to 1.50 -> and then to any OE or 3.52 M33 firmware (you could stop here but personally I moved on) -> 3.71 M33 - > 3.71 M33-2 -> patched 3.71 M33-2 ( you need to update the 3.71 m33 firwares with a 1.50 patch to utilize the 1.50 kernel)
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:25 pm

I think this has 2.7, and the last thing I'll be doing is buying a game.