PSP slim UMD drive possessed by Satan

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

17daysolderthannes
PSP slim UMD drive possessed by Satan

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:38 pm

I bought a "parts" PSP slim (2001) and everything works on it but the UMD (custom firmware :) ), but its not that the UMD just doesn't work, its just possessed. It won't read a UMD, but every time I turn it on and randomly while playing a game off of the memory stick, etc. it will start moving and "click" as the arm that connects to the worm gear skips. It seems like the problem is that it can't find the "edge" of the laser track to know when to stop, so it just keeps moving trying to find that spot. I had a Sega CD with a similar problem, but that was just because of a worn out mechanical switch, but I don't see any mechanical switches on the UMD drive. If anyone can enlighten me of what mechanism defines the positioning for the UMD, that would be great. If not, if anyone knows how I could disable the worm gear motor so it will stop moving for no reason that would be OK as well. I tried unplugging the laser, but that didn't do anything as the motor is on a separate cable apparently (or obviously, but I was hoping it would go "can't find laser" and give up, apparently the OS isn't that smart). Is there some way I can disable the UMD completely via custom firmware? That would be the preferred route if possible. Thanks.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:21 pm

How about taking out the UMD assembly completely?

slowman

Post by slowman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:14 am

I second that... just completely take it out. It will make the PSP lighter anyway.

Shinnen

Post by Shinnen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:23 am

Xteaph-N

Post by Xteaph-N » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:26 am

Just call your local pastor to bless it, duh! Damn kids. :lol:

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:13 pm

Shinnen wrote:http://pspupdates.qj.net/Stop-the-spinn ... aid/128131

Does that work for you ?
that seems like it will work, I'll try it out later.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:25 pm

nope, didn't work, probably because this problem seems to be that the laser can't put itself in the "resting position" properly rather than constantly trying to load a UMD. When I fixed a broken LaserDisc player, the tray wouldn't eject unless the laser was in an exact spot. If I simply unplug the UMD, would the PSP do anything weird? I would hope the circuitry is designed in a way that it wouldn't cause an open circuit or anything, but I'd like to make sure. Thanks to a UMD replacement video, I now know where the proper cable is.

edit: one more thing, will a disconnected UMD mess up updates? I'm already having problems with this slim bricking at ~91% through the update, even though I'm using the EXACT SAME INSTALLER that I used on a fat already.

slowman

Post by slowman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Nope, you have to gut the UMD drive in order to internalize the CR3100 for a Phat. This will work just fine on a Slim as well. With CFW, a PSP is completely capable of being 100% UMD dependent. :)

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:54 pm

slowman wrote:Nope, you have to gut the UMD drive in order to internalize the CR3100 for a Phat. This will work just fine on a Slim as well. With CFW, a PSP is completely capable of being 100% UMD independent. :)
Am I wrong or was the "in" supposed to be there? Because I think I remember scrapping my umd drive and not needing it for anything... :?

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:05 pm

well, I took it out and everything works OK, now to figure out why my 5.00 update is freezing at 91% when the same installer worked perfectly on my fat (it froze before I took out the UMD, haven't tried after, gotta wait till I have a magic memory stick handy so I don't have to go a few days with a bricked PSP).

slowman

Post by slowman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:15 am

ShockSlayer wrote:
slowman wrote:Nope, you have to gut the UMD drive in order to internalize the CR3100 for a Phat. This will work just fine on a Slim as well. With CFW, a PSP is completely capable of being 100% UMD independent. :)
Am I wrong or was the "in" supposed to be there? Because I think I remember scrapping my umd drive and not needing it for anything... :?

SS
Yup, it was supposed to be there. I meant that the PSP works independently of the UMD. It isn't necessary for the PSP to function provided you have CFW. :)

17daysolderthannes

Re:

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm

slowman wrote:
ShockSlayer wrote:

SS
Yup, it was supposed to be there. I meant that the PSP works independently of the UMD. It isn't necessary for the PSP to function provided you have CFW. :)
what about with official firmware? what about recovery mode (MMS & pandora battery to install custom firmware/unbrick)?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Re: PSP slim UMD drive possessed by Satan

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:48 pm

AS long as you don't need a disk for those, I don't think you would need it for that either.

I used to be a PSP Guru, but I ruined the joystick and L button soooooooo many times. God, those days sucked.

That was the time when my 4th N64p was crawling out of the ashes. I compare important stages of my life to what portable I was working on at the time.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;