Neo Geo MVS run +12 direct from 3s lipoly?

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

rokubungi
PSN Username:rokubungi
Neo Geo MVS run +12 direct from 3s lipoly?

Post by rokubungi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:33 pm

hello everybody! first time poster I've finally decided to portablize something.

I'm in the process of making a semi-portable neo geo MVS out of a mvs-1b and wonder how much voltage do you need in order to get amplified sound out of it? would a 3s lipoly have enough voltage unregulated while also supplying power to the +5 and +7.5(it tests about 12.4V without load but haven't charged it in a while so I think it just might!) to a psone screen? or would I be better off using a 4s lipoly and step it down to +12 +8 and +5?

or could I skip the +12 altogether and modify the MVS to run solely off +5 and use the amplifier in the psone screen (will the +5 mods work with a mv-1b?)

rokubungi
PSN Username:rokubungi

Re: Neo Geo MVS run +12 direct from 3s lipoly?

Post by rokubungi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:54 pm

nevermind... I'm just going to use a 14.8 pack made from 12 of these TENERGY-LI18500-1400-TABS Li-Ion 18500 Cylindrical Rechargeable 3.7V 1400mAh with Tabs

and one of these TENERGY-PCB-14V-6A-LEADS Protection Circuit Module ( PCB ) for 14.8V Li-Ion Battery Pack (4 cells with 6.5A limit )

should give me 4200mAh so I should get at least 3hour runtime and less possibility of any battery explosion

update
wired up a simple regulator circuit and out and got 50 minutes of runtime with one of my 14.8v rhino 1750 MAH battery packs before my low cell indicator beeped (the thing attached to the charge leads on the lipoly)
I've gotten amplified audio out on the Neogeo MVS with 10.2v (11.1 inline with diode and 12v reg .) 12v reg will be coming off this board to save power

I think I'll make my battery 11.1v even if I can get the amplified sound out of a 7.4v battery I want to be able to power this from 12v dc so it will run and charge straight off a car power socket (cigarette lighter)

now I just need sturdy case.. probably a DC-96F from polycase I know it's huge (10"X6"X3" externally) but I want to get my big battery pack and large speaker (5"X3" oval) plus screen, DPDT power switch, rgb to VGA and 2 neo geo controller adaptors. and I want to keep the MVS outside this box unmodified.

yeah this isn't really a 'portable' more of a supergun with a screen.