original Playstation hack question

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

FatylPCs
original Playstation hack question

Post by FatylPCs » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Hello all new to the forums here.

I was going thru a lot of my old stuff cleaning today and found my old PSXs. I was wondering if any one had tried to put a micro atx or mini itx motherboard into one of these and if so how well did it work out and what cutting/modding ect. they had to do to it.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: original Playstation hack question

Post by vskid » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 pm

I have a PS1 down in my room begging to have this done to it. 8) I don't know if anyone has tried or succeeded though.
A mini-ITX board is the biggest that will fit. A low power board is pretty much a must, there is very little room for ventilation. It might be hard to be able to fit a disc drive, but a nano- or pico-ITX board would make it easier.

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:42 pm

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?conten ... tKZ9hHhda2
i am pretty sure that puppy would fit just fine :mrgreen:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:57 pm

was thinking that i could use an external PSU or something to that extent as far as power goes...

also i was wondering if any one had the mesurments of the original PSX

also plan on an external cooling solution (cooling pad) and using this board possibly:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by FatylPCs on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

vskid

Post by vskid » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 am

A picoPSU would work. External 12v adapter feeding a tiny internal adapter that converts it to the voltages the board needs.

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:21 am

it would also allow me to make a mock plug for the system that would look like the standard PSX one :D

Ollus

Post by Ollus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:43 pm

I was thinking about similar mod, but there was one question uncle google couldn't answer: Is there a toploading dvd? I would love the original playstation to remain it's toploading feature (for the sake of being as stealthy as possible).

And this kind of mod was already performed by this guy:
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/playstationpc/

But i think that putting an eeebox inside would be a wiser solution.

vskid

Post by vskid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Ollus wrote:I was thinking about similar mod, but there was one question uncle google couldn't answer: Is there a toploading dvd? I would love the original playstation to remain it's toploading feature (for the sake of being as stealthy as possible).
It should be possible to make one. I have a laptop DVD drive that I've taken apart, and it looks like the only modification needed would be relocating the switches that tell the drive if it's closed.

Ollus

Post by Ollus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Ok, my bad, actually i've been searching for info on toploading dvd like eons ago :wtf: , now they produce it and it's damn small. Here you go:
http://www.overclockershq.com/hard-driv ... z0jVwUFX4O

But great idea with hacking an existing drive though, might look further into that when i will finally find some spare time ;)