Joystick question/help

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

deaglecrazy
Joystick question/help

Post by deaglecrazy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:44 pm

I have recently purchased a Mortal Kombat II arcade machine but this PCB had been put inside what was originally a baseball game cabinet of some sort, and was wondering how to tell whether the joysticks are 4-way or 8-way? I'm curious because it's kind of a pain and sometimes wont do stuff such as having the character jump to the right / left ect. Here are 2 pictures:
http://img132.imageshack.us/g/img0092bk.jpg/
Thanks and sorry to be a bother

tom61

Re: Joystick question/help

Post by tom61 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Leaf spring joysticks like you have are not very good for fighting games. It does seem to be 8-way, though. You should probably grab a microswitch joystick as a replacement.

deaglecrazy

Post by deaglecrazy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:54 pm

Alright thank you very much, now to be more of a pain lol.. all I'd have to do is solder the cords from the old joysticks to the new ones right? also what sort of solder would be best? and any recommendations on where to get joysticks? I found this:
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/arcade ... at_35.html
But they only seem to have black and i was kind of hoping for a blue joystick or red or even one of each

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:37 pm

You just need to solder the wires going from switch to switch on the joysticks to the "GND" lugs on the microswitch joysticks, the other wires go to the "NO" (Normally Open) lug. Happ Controls is a pretty popular choice to get joysticks, and they have the competition joysticks in a variety of colors.

deaglecrazy

Post by deaglecrazy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks a ton this site is perfect and i'll keep all that in mind when I get them, I just may post some more noob questions tho haha