Riki's Official NES-PC Build Log **Large Images?**

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
Riki's Official NES-PC Build Log **Large Images?**

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Okay, decided to make a new thread to start posting pictures, reduces confusion with my previous thread. This is dedicated mostly for pictures.

Marking some parts to be dremeled out, but not the final product, as I left 2 marked posts for a HDD mounting area.

I wired up the controller ports to the Retrozone NES to USB chips, and along with a USB header cable.
Notice the 2 wires left alone, purple and the blue, as Retrozone chips are not compatible with light guns or power glove.

Tested the fit and controller ports. Works nicely. Might be a boot issue with the USB headers switching from player 1 to 2, but I could of wired them in reverse multiple times.

Had some issues with the case cover, the last or back fan was terribly close to the PSU, might of made clicking noise if I left it....or jammed the fan. So I trimmed off more of the screw posts to drop the PC mobo down some on the right side. Progression pictures......and the fans I borrowed from a HDD cooling bracket....very slim and nice fans.

I bought a plastic project enclosure kit and used the backplate to chop up into pieces I could use to mount the AV connectors and power cable to the original NES ports on the right rear side and back left.

Pictures continue in next post. If i'm fast enough for our readers.

rikitheshadow

Re: Riki's Official NES-PC Build Log **Large Images?**

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:55 pm

Pictures Continued

Drilled some holes in the plates and fitted my connectors, very snug fit, but I forget the size of the bit used.

Me sizing them up within the NES, notice the back plate, the power connector is larger than the NES's original cut out, and the Right channel for audio is offset a little bit. Can't blame me....it wasn't precision....and marking it with a pencil on black plastic in low lighted conditions......

Dremel'd out the sides of the NES ports to fit the power connector and Right audio channel connector and it fits very snug.

Borrowed the wires from the original NES power switch to wire up the AV connectors. Used some standard plugs on the end to make a modular PC....so I can switch mobos if I find an upgraded Intel Atom mini itx board. Oh yes, lovely held up by a lot of Hot Glue, but seems quite sturdy. In the last picture, you see a black wire, which I used to jump the ground for audio from the Left Channel to the Right Channel, avoids tangled up cables in the enclosure.

Testing locations for the HDD, this corner seems nice, and thats why I left these 2 screw posts.

Dremel'd out the side of one of the screw posts to slide the HDD into. Then drilled a hole through the bottom....just one...hardly noticeable, to mount it in place. The Expansion slot on the NES, the portrusions that hold the clip on the bottom in place, also keeps the HDD from moving as well. Very snug fit. Also I put a thick paper like poster material on top of the HDD to prevent shorts from the bottom of the Mobo just in case.

More pictures to come.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:11 am

Pictures continued.

Ok, what happened Saturday night, was I had issues with the PSU touching the back fan again, because with all the components inside, the mobo was being pushed up by its 2 right side corners. I figured there would only be a ground trace to the screw holes if anything, and thus trimmed them. When I tried to turn it on it refused to respond, took it out, and found that I had destroyed this trace......I tried re-soldering together with a wire....but still no response. Evidently I destroyed an internal trace that is very hard to see and thus killed my mobo.

No worries though, I recieved my replacement in the mail today, and now it works fine. It even fits with no adjustments.....so I guess what I can say what happened to the old one.....was that I was just getting tired....and made a bad judgement. Setting me back about another 85 dollars, but still was a good deal, and the guy shipped pretty fast. Fedex is pretty good I suppose.

I will have more pictures to come, haven't taken anymore yet. Configuring GameEX a little more, some Emulators, and the controller configuration. On a second note, I did trim a large black plastic strip you see above in previous posts that I intend to use as a connector plate for some USB ports that I plan to have connected to the mobo's second USB header. Those will be hidden under the cartridge door on the NES so I can access it with a keyboard and mouse very quickly and easily. I also bought a Wireless USB antenna, so I could eliminate a lan/ethernet cable and still have a network or internet connection.

***Edit***
I'm still working on the power switch, only have the reset switch up and running. I did replace the red LED with a blue LED, but still not connected, as some of the parts I had from a previous computer is in storage. Makes it easier to wire the power controls to a mobo when you have the pre-wired jumper cable connectors that come with most cases.
Last edited by rikitheshadow on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:13 am

Maybe ought to size down the pictures a little bit from now on, to soemthing like 640 X 480, much easier to read and see and comprehend.

Good luck, looks good so far.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:28 pm

I haven't updated in a while, but my project is not dead. Just at a stand still.

I have completed wiring the power button and reset button, with a new Blue LED as well. Works great.
I've configured a few other things with GameEX as well loaded up some emulators. I just want to get some extra controllers (SNES) with more buttons and mod those up to the NES controller ports.

I also plan to make a video to post on me youtube channel that will be better than my NES-DVD player.

Squidlekins

Post by Squidlekins » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:51 pm

This looks pretty awesome. What kind of computer is it?/specs? I was looking for a computer like this for a similar project.
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Squidlekins wrote:This looks pretty awesome. What kind of computer is it?/specs? I was looking for a computer like this for a similar project.
Intel Atom mini itx board.....D945GCLF2
1.6Ghz dual core
2gig of memory
Intel Media Graphics Accelerator (onboard video)

with...
250gig notebook HDD
12v PicoPSU 150watt 24pin ATX

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Ok, got some new pictures on the way. I mounted some USB ports into the cartridge slot of the NES-PC......only 2 but I plan on buying a wireless keyboard and mouse combo that only requires the one USB dongle. That was I could still use the wireless when I choose when I still require a keyboard and mouse.........I was thinking to mount the wireless usb network adapter into the case, but it would limit what USB ports I would have to access freely without opening the case.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Here we go now.....
Ok, nothing unusual eh?

AHHH-HAAAAA!!! erm I mean....surprise.....
Look at that!

Some quality crappy craftsmenship done in less than an hour......

Well I can say its pretty much finished, case wise. Now all i need to do is finish up some more controllers, buy a keyboard and mouse (besides what I have already), and make a video to post on me youtube channel.

lemonhead

Post by lemonhead » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:45 am

What type of RAM is it?

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:33 pm

DDR2 RAM, pretty much standard for most computers these days. Unless your going for something higher powered.

lemonhead

Post by lemonhead » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:53 pm

WHat did you do to the power/reset switches that made them connect to the motherboard?

HardcoreLewscher

Post by HardcoreLewscher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:51 am

looks so awesome
nicely done there :P
\¯\/¯/ |¯|)¯) /¯/\¯\ \¯\/¯/
/_/\_\ |_|)_) \_\/_/ /_/\_\
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:23 pm

lemonhead wrote:WHat did you do to the power/reset switches that made them connect to the motherboard?
Sorry to respond to this slowly.
I removed the original wiring from the power/reset buttons. Removed a small metal like staple in the power switch that made it just a temporary contact switch. Then I took some wires from a computer case that where originally intended for a PC-mobo and soldered them in place of the original wires on the power/reset switches.....and from there just connected them just like you would any normal motherboard.

lemonhead

Post by lemonhead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:08 am

what kind of connector attached to the motherboard?