My consolized MVS Project thread!

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199
My consolized MVS Project thread!

Post by Triton » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Not a whole lot to post but here will be the project thread for my consolized MVS. so far i have 12 MVS games and an MV-1B board. from ebay i will be buying 2 happ joysticks and 8-10 buttons to build my controllers out of. i will probabaly be building a custom power supply for it (voltage regulators, a transformer, rectifier and whatnot) to keep the size to a minimum. might do something clever with the console case and controller cases, im not sure yet what i am going to do exactly and progress might be slow so dont expect a ton of updates in this thread for a while!

for the video output i might get and modify an amiga 520 RF/composite video modulator, it will be a lot cheaper than any of the off the shelf options and should provide adequate video quality. and it might be possible to get it to output Svideo as well. of course i will leave the option to output RGB for my amiga monitor or my projector for some soopar sharp video clarity :mrgreen: might have some concept sketches later on

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: My consolized MVS Project thread!

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:46 am

Triton, the stuff you buy from Happ will be about $30-40 if you buy the harness. I would suggest spending the extra $10 and get the Play 1, Player 2 and coin buttons. You know I forgot to get those myself, but it's worth buying, and it will look better.

If you have more money then time you could just buy a Mini-Itx power supply. We all know that 200W is more then enough to run an MVS, don't we.

Well keep us up-to-date.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

arfink

Post by arfink » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Cool idea. If you want to have a nice and cheap RGB to NTSC encoder that has composite and S-Video, go and get yourself a NeoBitz-S, which comes as a kit and costs $35. Also, I am beginning a stereo mod to my MV-1B, so I'll keep you posted how that goes. Once modded you don't need +12v. Also, consider doing it with proper Neo Geo 15 pin controller ports, I think you'll like that better. Then you only need to have one set of controls at a time, or buy a Neo Geo controller to save some money. Plus if you have friends who make their own controllers they can use them on your Neo Geo. Lastly, if you're consolizing just the MVS, forget the harness. You can just solder right to the fingerboard and save a pile of money.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

Triton

Post by Triton » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:00 pm

i already have the jamma connector and harness so i will probably use the connector, just incase i ever need to swap out the MVS board or something, would save a lot of wiring! and if you can get me a link to get some of those Dsub 15 connectors for cheap that would be great! im dead flat broke right now so progress will be slow, i will be sure to post pics when i actually have pics to post tho!

arfink

Post by arfink » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:17 pm

I'll try and dig up some links. Right now I would suggest you check places like Mouser, but I can dig for you if you can wait a bit. Actually, I got mine by ripping them out of old IBM joysticks. Go to the thrift store and find IBM joysticks with metal DB-15's on the end and very carefully cut them out of the cable sheathing. I find that an exacto knife, coupled with a small side cutter and a heat gun makes this job easy, but you could do it just with the side cutters if you're careful. This will yield the male DB-15 you need for the console. Than you'll need to have female DB-15's for the controllers.

http://www.neobitz.com/
find your encoder here. The website doesn't have a store, so click the BUY NOW button to get Jeff's email address. Ask specifically for the NeoBitz-S, it's the kit form and the best value encoder out there. His NeoBitz encoder is more complex and more expensive.
Or you can get the decoder chip from Analog Devices as a free sample and build the rest of the circuit yourself.

As for the DB-15's, I can't seem to operate Mouser or Jameco's websites properly from either Firefox 3 or IE, they're just crappy web pages. I'll refer to my handy paper catalogs and get you a part number.

Triton

Post by Triton » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:56 pm

UPDATE!

holy crap i finally found the parts i was missing! now i just need another joystick and mebe a couple more buttons and i can build my 2 controllers!

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Out of curiosity, which encoder did you decide to use? The Amiga one, or did you go with the NeoBitz suggestion?

Triton

Post by Triton » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:25 pm

havent decided yet, for testing and such i will be using my amiga monitor, my ebay jamma harness, and a PC power supply :lol:

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri May 01, 2009 6:04 pm

For maybe $20 worth of parts you can build your own encoder. See here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/28/how- ... cade-game/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben wrote that I think.

EDIT: You actually want part number AD725ARZ-ND because the one that is listed has a high minimum order. The ARZ model is the same but RoHS complient.

Triton

Post by Triton » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:21 pm

slight update, ive started work on the controllers and stuff! will post pics once i have something photogenic to show off :lol:

Triton

Post by Triton » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Image its a start!

arfink

Post by arfink » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:51 pm

BACK FROM THE DEAD! HUZZAH!

And by the way, nice job with that. I can't wait to see what you do with it.