regulator question.

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

jeffslot
Portablizer Extraordinaire
regulator question.

Post by jeffslot » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:59 am

Hi guys, I thinking of doing another neo-geo project. After re-reading Ben's portable Neo - Geo project I'm wondering if anyone knows what step down and step up regulators he used or which ones would be good for such a project. Thanks.

Edit: I'm most interestd in stepping up from a 7.5 to 12v. I think I can use a regular 7805 for the 5V. Thanks.

Jeff S

arfink

Post by arfink » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Here is a suggestion for you, and it's a "secret" that SNK fanboys on the Neo-Geo.com forums guard jealously. The Neo Geo doesn't need the 12 volts. Yup, you heard me, it doesn't need it, unless you plan on using the big 8 ohm speakers they use in the arcade cabinets. The only part I know of on the Neo Geo that uses the 12 volts is the main audio amp. The rest is all 5 volt. Try it out and see for yourself.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

jeffslot
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by jeffslot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:08 pm

Artfink,

Are you saying that I can supply just 5v where i would normally put the 12? Thanks.

Jeff s