My Idea for an arcade game

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
My Idea for an arcade game

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Doom arcade!:

You would set up an LAN between the 2 computers, and you could play DOOM, DOOM 2, Final DOOM, and Ultimate DOOM. This leads me to a problem: how would you get a 4 games to automatically boot up, with a list to choose which one?

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:09 pm

Mamewah frontend can do it! You could even have screenshots. One option would be to create a batch file for each game that would be kicked off by Mamewah without having to see Windows at all. I could help you with those if you need it.

I wonder how well a trackball would work instead of a mouse for 3D shooters. That may something to experiment with. An 8-Way joystick sux major a$$ on 3D shooters. Just my random thoughts, but if your going to go through all of that for just 3D shooters you could do a WASD type format with original arcade buttons for your left hand, and put a trackball/rollerball with fire and alt-fire buttons, all mapped to your mouse, for your right hand. That might work pretty darn good.

**Edit**

You really got me thinking man, I like this idea too. I even went as far to write up a "Concept 3D Control Panel" to show what I was talking about. Check this out:

You can create your own designs at
http://www.move360media.com/mame/icpd/G ... tarted.htm

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:03 pm

The problem with a Track ball is that you would continually have to keep spinning the ball. Im not going to start this immediately, I probably will once I get more time on my hands this summer, probably like in may or even late april. I am going to pick up a book about building arcade cabs and read it first, I will PM you when I start the project.

Thanks

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:12 pm

I had another Idea, but how do I save my image?

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:28 pm

Try hitting Prt Scr (It's next to F12) and pasting into MS paint or something.

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:07 pm

Yea, I did a Print Screen, then pasted it into Photoshop to trim it and add the letters. As for the trackball, if you get the sensitivity right, you could just keep your hand on it to aim your guns like using the mouse. Really though, don't use an arcade joystick with 3D shooters, it makes the game more of a bear to play than it is fun to play.

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:12 pm

I want to do the same for halo.
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:58 pm

alright, I used paint, sorry it took so long, but here mine is:

what do you think?
now, sadly, ive never actually played doom II, final, or ultimate. I plan on picking up doom collection soon, but in the latter versions of the game do you need any buttons not listed :?:

and BTW sorry about the crappy microsoft paint job. the jump button is almost covered by the word.

I also forgot to add buttons to change your weapon. basically, under the start/fire/jump buttons, there are individual buttons to change your weapons.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:22 am

Why not use a joystick for W A S and D?

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:59 am

Super Cameraman wrote:Why not use a joystick for W A S and D?

-Super
I thought about this, and I figured it would be easier to use that. I will try to explain.

For a joystick, If you were getting shot at from your left, you would have to turn fully turn around and shoot. you cant turn around half way and than keep on moving in the left direction and shoot, because a joystick can only move in one direction. with the 4 separate buttons, you could turn around and walk torward him at the same time.

This is probably confusing... sorry if it is.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:33 pm

You could still have it go forward and turn at the same time with a joystick. Theres several ways, one being like the Atari paddles, pretty much a stick on a d-pad. If you want to turn left and walk forward, push the stick diagonally to the upper left.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:59 pm

alright how do I hack the keyboard w/o the encoder?

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:26 pm

Here is the page that I used to follow the hack:
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_mydrea ... yboardHack

I then hooked up the dismantled keyboard to a laptop and ran a program called Keyscan. I downloaded it from http://www.arcadecontrols.com on their download section under utilities. With your project you will probably be ok, but when running lots and lots of buttons at the same time you run into keyboard ghosting. That is when you press two to three seperate keys at the same time, and the computer thinks that your are pressing more or less keys than you are actually pressing. When you map out your hacked keyboard encoder you will probably be able to figure out which keys cause the ghosting. The keyscan program allowed me to see which keys I was "pressing" (shorting out via my hack) and I could figure out if there were any ghost keys going on. It sounds complicated, but you'll get it. I have a few pics on my website as well. Click my sig and go to my arcade section.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:25 pm

Ok, I have a new Idea. Instead of using a regular computer or cabinet, I will
use a Internet-cafe type pc. Why? It already has a built in track ball and coin mechanism, and I got it for free :D . I will start working on this sometime soon, pics later. I have no controls as-of yet, and the hard part will be taking out the built in key board. I also plan to make one with a real arcade cab in the future.

Or should I save the idea for this and make a NES/SNES cabinet? let me know your opinions! thanks

A_Username

Post by A_Username » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:15 pm

ganonbanned wrote:Ok, I have a new Idea. Instead of using a regular computer or cabinet, I will
use a Internet-cafe type pc. Why? It already has a built in track ball and coin mechanism, and I got it for free :D . I will start working on this sometime soon, pics later. I have no controls as-of yet, and the hard part will be taking out the built in key board. I also plan to make one with a real arcade cab in the future.

Or should I save the idea for this and make a NES/SNES cabinet? let me know your opinions! thanks
Where'd you get one of those!!??