MAME question

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Krepticor
MAME question

Post by Krepticor » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:41 pm

I reall would like to create a MAME cabinent with existing stuff I have (duh)

However, I don't really have a VGA monitor to spare...shocking yes...Could I use the RGB monitor from my MVS?
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:47 pm

If it can be plugged into a computer, than yes. Just get a cheap VGA if you have to.

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:14 pm

Go on craigslist & just get a VGA monitor for free on the free listings.

Trust me, it'd be a lot easier than discharging*, removing, moving, & installing an RGB monitor. )This reminds me, I have to remove the dead RGB CRT in MY MVS cab!

*Do this or die. (literally)

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:55 pm

ok then plan b is there a way to connect an MVS to VGA?

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:04 pm

Not unless you know how to build an upscanner. They go for $80+ on eBay I believe.

I suggest you invest $50 into an NEC MultiSync monitor. That's what I'm planning on doing to make my JAMMA/MAME hybrid cab.

One thing though: You'll have to cut that connector off the harness (you know the one I'm talking about, the white one w/ the RGB Gnd Sync), & attach BNC connectors.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:19 am

What I really want to do is have another All-in-one type deal where I have a MAME with an MVS and a SEGA NAOMI in one Cabinet

Hmm...can you link me to that monitor?

If not I believe I could swing a few bucks on a Flat Screen Monitor and then Build a Cabinet myself (I would of course find one with the analog inputs)

I would try to intergrate as many features as possible...But this is still the planning phase right?

(but I am going to finish my triple-p first!)

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:34 am

There ARE devices that allow you to hook numerous JAMMA games up to one harness, but I don't know the name of what they're called, I haven't looked into it for years.

Don't use an LCD. They don't naturally anti-alias, the colors aren't good, & the contrast is crap. Find a good CRT instead.

Remember, you're looking for a monitor that can be used in both the 15KHz-35KHz ranges.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:04 pm

ok LCD Bad...got it
So CRT is cheap enough anyway

I just want to connect my MVS up to the proper video standard...thats all
I simply do not want a gazillion Arcade Cabs in one area...one big one is just fine :P

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:17 pm

Oh, then RGB is what you're looking for. VGA is simply the same standard, except it operates at usually over twice the frequency of RGB, there's indivisual grounds for each color, & there's a couple data pins.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:51 pm

so can I hook up a MAME to an RGB Monitor?

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:18 pm

Depends if the Video card (or mobo chipset) will output 15KHz. Seeing as it's possible to output Composite through VGA (& composite is 15KHz), I wouldn't be surprised if there was a program that has a card output RGB either...

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:25 pm

The only thing Is that I would much rathre not have that darn high voltage RGB Monitor in the cab...I would rather use something that is a littlem more how you say...safe to remove...Also the RGB monitor has to be hard wired, If I would use a VGA CRT Monitor then that would be nice, I know that the MVS doesn't have a video encoder and I wonder if that could be used for my advantage...

arfink

Post by arfink » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:03 pm

Whoah, hold your horses man!

There is a good way you can use your RGB monitor, do NOT throw it out! Nothing, not even a VGA monitor, can make your arcade games look as good as a real RGB monitor. If you have a MVS and a Naomi, then you should certainly not chuck the RGB monitor.

If you want to do a MAME machine with the RGB monitor, here is what you need to do. First, build a VGA to RGB cable. Or you can buy the one from Jameco and use that. It will work just fine. THEN, (and this is the important part) you need to configure your PC software to display MAME in the 15khtz signal. You will need Mame to run with the NTSC option, or use AdvanceMAME if you want to get this output. For a frontend, you should use ArcadeOS, which can also display in 15khtz. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RUN WINDOWS ON YOUR RGB MONTIOR. If you want to use arcadeOS, you really should put DOS on your machine. Also, install a switch. ArcadeOS makes a startup sound when it's done loading. You wait for that sound, then you know it's safe to turn on the monitor. Or, if you have a lot of skill, there is a relay circuit you can build which will interface with ArcadeOS and turn your monitor on for you when the time is right.

Got that?

Edit: I forgot to say, you should find info in this at the PC2Jamma website, and also in the documents that come with ArcadeOS.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:11 am

See? It looks like you can do it within mame!:p

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:57 am

see Atari that is what I needed to see!
Thanks man (PS I was not gonna chuck hat thing anyway I would "Archive" it)

Now Arcade OS This is of course a new operating system and my MAME would be nothing more than an arcade cabinet then right?

What other emu could I run on it with arcade OS?
I have to flash the bios as well right?

Is there a link to this so I can stop annoying you?