arcade cab question

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
arcade cab question

Post by ganonbanned » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:48 pm

what exactly is Jamma? and also, if I had a PCB, how could I create a arcade game?

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:15 pm

It's basically a cable standard. You can pull any Jamma PCB out of a Jamma cab & slap another one in, basically. MVS uses Jamma, Golden Tee...basically anything that uses buttons & a joystick.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:16 pm

JAMMA is just a standardized connector, like parallel ports.

If you have an arcade PCB, you could use the jamma pinouts to create an RGB adapter, I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAMMA

Ooh! There's a project! JAMMA -> TV breakout box so you can plug in a random arcade board and play it on the TV!

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:49 pm

I think someone actually mass-produced something like that. It'd be a [female dog] to do it yourself though, as you'd have to track down an IC that can convert RGB to composite or similar.

It's actually really easy if you have a SCART television though, since Scart practically IS RGB.

kidw/32+systems

Post by kidw/32+systems » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:01 pm

JAMMA is just the connector that goes on the PCB. JAMMA is the standard connector but some cabs have special ones like my Playchoice or earlier Atari cabs. A JAMMA to composite adapter is called a supergun, just google it and you can find guides on how to make it.

To make a cab you would have to buy the harness which is just all the wirring, a RGB screen, a cab, and the buttons and joysticks/trackball, and a universal power supply.
PlayChoice games 50/54 37 toppers

arfink

Post by arfink » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Well, I have done something just like this, it's what I use to play my Neo Geo mvs on a TV. You can find a very nice RGB to NTSC converter which is made by Neo Bitz, I payed about $35 for mine and it comes either as a kit or fully assembled depending on if you want to modify it or you just really like building it yourself. As for the rest, check out the PC2Jamma project online, or maybe visit the www.hardmvs.com site for some good pinouts and instructions for building Jamma standard equipment interfaces.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!