Moving Mic off of a Stero headunit

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

SashiGlory
360 GamerTag:Sashi Glory
Moving Mic off of a Stero headunit

Post by SashiGlory » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:56 pm

I have a headunit with built in bluetooth, the idea of using it would be fantastic however the mic is built right into the faceplate and the quality is poor because of the distance from where i Actually am in the drivers seat. now curiosity got the best of me and ive pulled the thing apart and sniped the two very thin high gauge wire that connect the mic to the board i wanted to relocate this mic from the center console over to the top of the pillar on my drivers side i have a location and have run wire for the entire thing, soldered the new wire in place and it doesnt work. ive troubleshooted many different things and experience in the past tells me that when you start moving low powered parts off of the main board the distance becomes a problem with their functionality i was curious if there a way around this issue. i need to travel about 5 ft of wire

RDC

Re: Moving Mic off of a Stero headunit

Post by RDC » Mon May 14, 2012 10:22 pm

You shouldn't have any issues moving it that distance, so check and make sure the wire you've used isn't pinched or shorted somewhere. It's also possible that you've damaged the mic rewiring it, or you just didn't remove the enamel from the wire, depending on what you used so it's not making a connection at all. Pics of that setup and some more info on what you did exactly would help out.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome