cleaning corroded solder pads

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

mr aize
cleaning corroded solder pads

Post by mr aize » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:16 am

Anyone got any successful techniques? I've just been repairing an old game gear and a lot of the solder pads where the old capacitors were fixed to the board were pretty badly corroded and it made it very difficult to solder on the new ones. I tried cleaning them with vinegar, followed by baking soda and then alcohol, to try and clean it all off. Wasn't amazingly effective though, it has worked, just not brilliantly.

TSX420J

Re: cleaning corroded solder pads

Post by TSX420J » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:44 pm

mr aize wrote:Anyone got any successful techniques? I've just been repairing an old game gear and a lot of the solder pads where the old capacitors were fixed to the board were pretty badly corroded and it made it very difficult to solder on the new ones. I tried cleaning them with vinegar, followed by baking soda and then alcohol, to try and clean it all off. Wasn't amazingly effective though, it has worked, just not brilliantly.
I have used liquid wrench silicon lube sprayed on a cloth and used to wipe corrosion off solder joints. Do not spray too much, you do not want it to drip under IC's or other components making it hard to clean up after. Do not spray directly on components and be sure to clean up with alcohol after. Other than that, it works pretty well.

mr aize

Re: cleaning corroded solder pads

Post by mr aize » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Interesting, nice one.