Cleaning old consoles?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Creebo
360 GamerTag:TheWillToHarp
Steam ID:FireflyTi
Cleaning old consoles?

Post by Creebo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:08 pm

I know enough not to use things like Windex or nail polish remover on plastics, but what should I use?

I've got a SNES and original Gameboy that I would love to clean up, along with getting some marker and stickers off some game cartridges. Does anyone have tips on breathing new life into old consoles?

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: Cleaning old consoles?

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:49 pm

You CAN put them into the dishwasher so I have been told. Just be sure it is not above 60 degrees Celsius or something...

But DO NOT use acetone (nail polish remover). If you want, test these chemicals on cheep toys form a junk shop or whatever.

I think Windex works the best for me, and plain old soap and warm water (dish washing soap that is for the dishes) works good also.

link7724
Steam ID:yoshie257

Post by link7724 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Cotton balls and 50% rubbing alcohol = brand new looking console.

jaqiefox

Post by jaqiefox » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:38 pm

isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol though many isopropyls are referred to as rubbing alcohol by staff of stores and stuff, as many of those have scents and other things in them that leave a film) of 90% and higher works wonders on removing marker without damaging the type of plastics consoles are made of.

Don't test it on other cheap plastics and think it's safe, there are soooooooo many kinds of plastics out there...

simple hot water with some dawn dishsoap and a washcloth can work wonders for simple grime and dirt, too.
Jaqie Fox, Genuine girl techie | http://foxtecha.com

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:44 am

Creebo wrote:I know enough not to use things like Windex or nail polish remover on plastics, but what should I use?

I've got a SNES and original Gameboy that I would love to clean up, along with getting some marker and stickers off some game cartridges. Does anyone have tips on breathing new life into old consoles?
For cleaning markers, I use hair spray. It works wonders on plastic surfaces. Wont damage either. Just wipe with alcohol after.
I also hear good things about mr clean magic eraser.

For sticker residue, I use goo gone citrus based, do not use petroleum based and do not use on labels or screens.

For consoles, I strip them down till I cant anymore. Take apart everything, do not be lazy and leave any screws springs or anything metal in the case, pop off buttons and anything that can be removed. Use a sponge or brush (plastic bristles) and scrub with water and soap on the case, buttons and anything plastic (do not use brush on shiny glossy surfaces). I then wipe dry and use compressed air to blow out any water that I cannot wipe away. I use a hair dryer on low heat or cold to finish drying. Make sure everything is dry before reassembly.

For the motherboards and metal shielding, I use a painters brush (for painting houses, not paintings) to dust off all the entire motherboard, controller ports, components and shielding.

For Controllers, I use the same method as for consoles for the all of the plastic parts. For the PCB, contacts and rubber contacts (both sides), I use a paper towel dampened with alcohol and wipe/rub thoroughly till clean. I then dry them with a dry paper towel. Some buttons and the inner walls of the holes on the controller need to be wiped with alcohol to remove stubborn crust.

Hope that helps.