XBOX 360 PSU BYPASS HACK HELP

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

harrisrwe
XBOX 360 PSU BYPASS HACK HELP

Post by harrisrwe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi there everyone, after much searching, I can't find S**T about this so I feel this is the best place to ask.

I'm putting my XBOX 360 into my car and wiring it up to my radio, but I'm having issues powering it. I can't afford a big, powerful AC/DC converter, so, my plan was to wire the xbox straight to the car's battery supply.

First Attempt: Just wired all 12v and Gnd lines to battery. Xbox Fans come on IMMEDIATELY but pushing the power button wouldn't cause it to turn on.

Second Attempt: Realized I needed a 5V line, so I created a little circuit board with a 7805(to220) to convert the 12v from the battery to 5v, but when plugged in, the Xbox did the same thing, Fans on immediately and no power.

Third Attempt: Thought my 5v regulator circuit was flawed, so I made it so that the xbox got the 5v from the standard PSU, and 12v from the car battery, but that made no difference, the Xbox still just turned on the fans immediately and wouldn't turn on itself.

Fourth Attempt: Post Here

I checked and reconnected all the wires back up to the original PSU and the xbox turned on, so I didn't fry it in the process of testing.

If the third attempt is making you say "why didn't he just wire the 5v and the 12v to the PSU?" its because my converter would go to protect mode with 12v and 5v connected, but not if only the 5v was connected.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

[EDIT] I was also wondering, all the pinouts that I found of the Xbox 360 had 3 12v, 3 gnd, a 5v, and a control, but on mine, on the PSU side, not the xbox side, I've got 2 extra wires, a small black and a small red. I don't know what these do, so does anyone?
Last edited by harrisrwe on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: XBOX 360 PSU HACK HELP

Post by bassmasta » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 pm

A car battery's voltage isn't always 12v, it might not be the best idea to hook it straight up.
http://www.landiss.com/battery.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

harrisrwe

Re: XBOX 360 PSU HACK HELP

Post by harrisrwe » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:35 am

bassmasta wrote:A car battery's voltage isn't always 12v
I work in electronics, and a stated voltage is almost never what it says it is. Like, if you take a 12v AC adapter, and check it with a multimeter, chances are it's putting out 14-16v, not 12v, so it's the same situation with the Xbox PSU

harrisrwe

Re: XBOX 360 PSU BYPASS HACK HELP

Post by harrisrwe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:35 pm

After doing much searching, it seems that I need at DC/DC converter. There are ones for sale that are used to power a computer in your car, and I could combine that with the Xbox 360 ATX PSU hack, however, like I said in my first post, I don't have the money for a strong enough one. Anybody got any ideas or any available schematics so I could build my own DC/DC converter?