NES not working (no power to the board?)

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63
NES not working (no power to the board?)

Post by com64 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:56 am

I followed Vomitsaw's Nintoaster instructional video to make a Nintoaster. I removed the RF modulator and replaced it with a 5v DC power source and a small video circuit. I screwed the 7805 regulator to a heatsink. I also cut down the edges of the circuit board and put in a momentary switch.

However, I do have one large problem. The thing doesn't seem to work. I put in a cartridge and turn it on. I hear the speaker on the TV click and the screen flickers once, but stays black.

What do you think the problem is? I've checked the circuit board for shorts. I've checked that it isn't being reset.

I used a 5V, 1A AC adapter that came with my Logitech PSP speakers, model number KSAFB0500100W1US. I tested it (before removing it from its case and soldering wires to it) a week ago and it worked fine.

I did cut off a little too much from the edges of the circuit board in some places, but I used wire to connect isolated ground points together.

Clickable thumbnails of my project:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

EDIT:
Okay, I just switched the power supply to an AC adapter that puts out 9V and .4A and wired in flip switches for power and reset buttons. With the old power supply, the 7805 voltage regulator warmed up. With this new supply, it is hot to the touch; enough to make a damp paper towel sizzle and to make me not want to touch it. I also wired in an LED as a power indicator. Surprisingly, it didn't work. The LED, connected straight to +5v and ground on the NES board, will NOT power on. I also tried switching LEDs and using a 36Ohm resistor, the only think I had at hand. It looks like the NES board isn't getting power at all. Perhaps I should find a new voltage regulator? I also corrected a mistake I had made earlier; I connected the composite jack between the wrong resistors. The TV flickering is probably due to the NES and the TV using the same power outlet. I don't have another outlet in close proximity to test. I also switched to a different composite jack, with no avail.
Finally: the surface!