Need help with step up voltage regulator to run LEDs

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

devileyebrows42
Need help with step up voltage regulator to run LEDs

Post by devileyebrows42 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:58 am

basically i need to run these 3.2-3.6 volt blue leds @ 20ma. the only problem is the 2 AA batteries that the controller runs on only output 2.4-2.6 volts so the LEDs run but they are extremely dim. So i need a way to step up 2.5 volts to 3.5 volts through a very compact low-input dc-dc step up regulator. I need a cheap, effective, and reliable option because i found one but it cost 20 bucks and the lowest input is 2.5 volts and it would probably cease to function once the batteries are used for a little while and the voltage drops slightly. Suggestions?

I think this may work but im not sure so i need someone to confirm for me: http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 61221.html

I included a picture of the schematic. I think it says i need 2 10uf capacitors and a 4.7 uh inductor (?). the values i used to calculate this schematic were: Vin Min = 2.3, Vin Max = 2.6, Vout = 3.3, Iout Max = .02 A. I dont know if its right but i thought you could correct me if i was wrong.

"I can eat so many frosted flakes before i've had tuna"
"Im not a dentist but i do brush my teeth twice a day"
The only things that are free in life are brochures, but nobody wants them.