Coding

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

iHackedit
Coding

Post by iHackedit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:55 am

Hai guys,
I recently wanted to start coding (small programs etc) but what language do you guys suggest a beginner like me should use? C++? Ruby? I'm super confused about them all and don't know what's they mean. Please help :)

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Coding

Post by jdmlight » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:35 pm

iHackedit wrote:Hai guys,
I recently wanted to start coding (small programs etc) but what language do you guys suggest a beginner like me should use? C++? Ruby? I'm super confused about them all and don't know what's they mean. Please help :)
The first language I coded in was TI Basic. Do you have a TI-83/84? That's a really easy language to start with. Otherwise I'd say go for C++. What I would do is go check out a how-to book from your local library. There are a ton out there for all different skill levels.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

iHackedit

Coding

Post by iHackedit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:37 pm

The TI 83/84 is a calculator isn't it? I've got a calculator from the TI series.... It's the TI-nspire CAS.

iHackedit is awesome!

jdmlight

Re: Coding

Post by jdmlight » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:46 pm

iHackedit wrote:The TI 83/84 is a calculator isn't it? I've got a calculator from the TI series.... It's the TI-nspire CAS.

iHackedit is awesome!
Wow, that's the super-fancypants new one. You can write programs for it, but it's nowhere near as simple as the ones I wrote for my TI84 (from what I can tell by reading a bit of the manual) - a lot more powerful though.
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

iHackedit

Coding

Post by iHackedit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 pm

It's not actually mine, I'm thirteen and don't need a really advanced one (the iPods will do.) it's my brothers and it has a mini USB cable and I don't know how to use it but it cost a lot.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:26 am

i started with binary...
probably assembly code?
or psp lua
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:59 pm

QBASIC for DOS was awesome!

I made it play Super Mario Brothers Theme and made a quest game called 'The Haunted Castle' haha

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:32 am

blaze3927 wrote:i started with binary...
probably assembly code?
or psp lua
I would never recommend anyone start with assembly. There are lots of easier languages to start with so that you can get your feet wet.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 am

I started with C#. I'd advise against it, as it doesnt have much help online. C++ is easy (simple Command Prompt programs.)

HTML, PHP (scripting), are two really good, and easyyyy coding languages. HTML isnt programming, but PHP is very similar to C. Lots and Lots of sources online for help.

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Coding

Post by hackmodford » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:54 am

I started with BASIC
Then I dabbled with visual basic
Then I tried multimedia fusion by clickteam.com
Then I started trying to dabble with obj-c (for iPhone programming)
Now I'm using gamesalad (until newer version of Xcode comes out

That's my story :D

Oh and I made a snake game on a TI 88 calculator once :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

DiscoPanda

Post by DiscoPanda » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:46 pm

I started with Applesoft BASIC, then went on to mess with QBASIC, I used C in a microcontroller class (C seems alright to me), and I'm thinking of learning ANSI Common LISP (I hear it's supposed to be pretty good once you get the hang of it).

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Technically I started with QBasic and Chipmunk Basic. These are good for getting the logic down and basic use of syntax. I then learned how to do a little programming in bash (*nix command line) and VB 2005. The VB 2005 don't bother, unless you really want to just make programs for Windows and that's were you plan to stay.

I'm looking into C++, Perl and PHP. C++ is good choice all-round, just a little hard to get into on the syntax. Perl, I'm even still having an issue understanding pre-written code. It's a very minimalistic language as far as syntax goes. PHP, good choice, very versicle and lot and lots of information out there for learning to program it.

Good luck.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.