Game Gear distorted screen

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

zerko
Re: Game Gear distorted screen

Post by zerko » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:04 am

jcx223 wrote:Found this page as I too am working on LCD in a Game Gear, owned since 1993 ROFL, but anyway, I have tested capacitors, and everything else. Then it occured to me, looking at the data cable, it was "bent" a little tightly from the factory, and after about 20 years, lol, there appeard minute cracks within the data cable, in the spots where the bends were, across more than half of the cable(backside, unscrew screen and lay back to access this side). You must use a magnifying glass to see, as I said, they are minute, but present. Sad to say, I do not think I will find replacement, if not maybe at a flea market or ebay(have to buy a fully functional unit). My only option is the latter, I've had it so long, have the tv tuner, super wide gear, rechargeable battery, full case of games, original game gear case.

Just thought I would let the poster know, I too was working on a game gear, and these are the findings on mine.
First thanks for Your post!
If the problem is in the cable, as you suggested it will be very hard to find replacement, and I think it's cheaper to buy second hand Game Gear from ebay or other similar shop. Working units can be found, but as you say the are about 20 years old (mine is manufactured in 1991) and I saw one unpacked unit, but the price was ridiculous - something about 400 British pounds.
I have only 4 cartridges, but with nostalgic value to me. :)
I'm very busy at the moment and don't have the time to try the resoldering video tip from the previous post.
But I'll try it when I have the time and post the results here.

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:26 pm

If you have a very steady hand you can med the cable, at the risk of completely destroying it.
  1. If the conductive layer is not exposed use acetone to 'melt' the plastic to expose it.
    • apply too much and it will fly apart- too little and you won't beable to make contact with the conductor.
  2. apply conductive ink to one line at a time
    • this will bridge the break in the line, and possible between lines if too much is applied.
  3. apply silicone or other flexible insulator
    • this will protect the repair against oxidization and breakage. May make the cable inflexible if too much is applied, or make the ink run shorting everything out, or worse disolve the cable entirely...

zerko

Post by zerko » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:38 am

Hello again !

I've tried everything - resoldering the ribbon cable on every side, but there is no difference in the picture - not even minor change in the distorted pattern.
I've also observed the cable for cracks, but it looks fine.
At this time I have no time to try anything more, because I'm very busy and I also think the problem's solution is beyond my knowledge and skills.

Thank to all of You for Your help. I really appreciate all Your efforts to help me! Best wishes!