Autochk program not found

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

AdumUp
360 GamerTag:AdumUp
Steam ID:AdumUp
Autochk program not found

Post by AdumUp » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:36 pm

My computer keeps feeding me this response every time windows begins to load... "Autochk program not found, Skipping autocheck" then the computer proceeds to turn off and reboot itself only to repeat the problem over and over again. This happened after a failed Windows XP service pack 3 upgrade. I've been reading around and everyone says that my computer has misslabled sector 17 on my drive to Hidden Partition, therefor making Autochk non existant so i need to install PTEDIT.exe onto a floppy as a bootable MS-DOS disk, then autoboot it. I dont own a floppy drive... :evil:
I really need to get this computer back up and running by Friday becuase I have a huge report due and I don't have time to start over. Any help would be appreciated :mrgreen:

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Autochk program not found

Post by bicostp » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Try running Chkdsk off the recovery console.

If you don't have it installed, there's a boot CD here:
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/ ... -wo-xp-cd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, right now my hardrive is plugged into my buddies pc, and I'm running a error/repair check. If that doesn't work the very first thing ill do is run CHKDSK, thank you for the reply sir :mrgreen:

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Chkdsk said "found one or more errors on the drive" so thinking it automatically fixed the errors I restarted the computer. Still having the same problem. I'm starting to get frustrated now... Are there any cd's I can boot from that will fix this, I've heard of partition magic but I downloaded that and it keeps demanding a floppy drive...

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:57 pm

I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:06 am

Yamada, that info was awful lol... :mrgreen:
It seems like there was everything except what I need on that site. Anyways, I tried chkdsk and chkdsk /p... Nothing. I keep reading about bootable discs, but I can't find any useful applications that will create a from for you to use... Partition magic sucked... Any suggestions

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:17 am

AdumUp wrote:Yamada, that info was awful lol... :mrgreen:
It seems like there was everything except what I need on that site. Anyways, I tried chkdsk and chkdsk /p... Nothing. I keep reading about bootable discs, but I can't find any useful applications that will create a from for you to use... Partition magic sucked... Any suggestions
If you're looking for a good set of utilities to put onto a disc, http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ is supposedly good (I haven't tried it).

If you're looking for a good disc burner, try this: http://www.imgburn.com/

UBCD is nice because you can put programs on it that would normally need to be installed on a floppy - such as that PTEDIT.exe utility you mentioned.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:55 am

A good Man said "on your friend computer. copy all the exes from C:/windows/system32/ to your C:/windows/system32/ and see if that works."
Maybe a virus deleted a important file or something accidentally deleted a required file.

EDIT: Running chkdsk from your friends computer would use the drivers and system configuration of his machine.
That would definitely not solve the problem.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Its not a problem with any of my system files... My drive was accidentally repartitioned becuase service pack 3 failed installing. Ill try that boot disc you posted, thanks for the help JDM

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:02 am

What good is it going to do if that was the right answer and you dont try it.

Ontopic: Try the boot disk utility.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC