I can't solder to save my life.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Super Cameraman
I can't solder to save my life.

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:45 pm

I am really frustrated. Everything I touch with a soldering iron dies. Everything. So far on my kill list- NOAC, Nintendo DS, Intec Hip Gear Screen Pad, and now, a cassette player. (Not a huge loss, $2 at Goodwill.)

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I know what I'm looking for in a circuit board, I know what pins I need to solder. I can figure that out. But it seems that either I have a very bad soldering iron, or I have a problem.

I can't get solder on a board to melt. It just won't melt. I think this is what's killing the mobo's because the longer I leave the soldering iron tip on it, I'm guessing I might be frying some components.

Also, I can't desolder. But maybe that's because I'm trying to use desoldering braid.

So I'm trying to build a headphone guitar amp out of a cassette player. All you need to do is connect the guitar cable to the leads coming from the cassette player head. Lucky for me, I didn't need to solder. Now, I want to solder on a switch and now the whole thing won't turn on.

I've watched the Soldering 101 videos, but it doesn't help. What can I do?
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:59 pm

What's the wattage of your tool?

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:13 pm

I can switch between 15 and 30. (I usually stay on 15 so I don't overheat any electronics.)
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:25 pm

I never saw the point of using 15w- you want the iron to get hot, and stay hot, but with that low a power, it will lose heat rapidly when cooler items (solder mainly) come into contact with it.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:45 pm

The hotter the better IMO. You just quickly solder/desolder the item and it's done. No need to worry about frying most of the electronics we are soldering. It's the IC's and processors that fry easily.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 pm

I used a 15W for a while, since it was the only one in the Boy Scout catalog. Once I switched to a 30W, it all got so much easier.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 pm

How do you guys stand using low-watt irons?! :shock: I've got a 60w, and when I had to use a Rat Shack cheapie for an in-school project, soldering was ten times more difficult.

This might sound counterintuitive, but try a stronger iron. You'll be able to move quicker, exposing components to less widespread heat.

When desoldering things, add new solder to the old joints. Old solder develops s a layer of oxidation which makes re-melting it really difficult.

Lead-free solder? Screw that crap. :P

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:09 pm

Needs more flux.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:06 pm

All I ever use is a 15 watt and I don't have any problems. Maybe it's technique?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Killer_Rabbit

Post by Killer_Rabbit » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:28 pm

Life of Brian wrote:All I ever use is a 15 watt and I don't have any problems. Maybe it's technique?
Yes, after seeing your work I would say that it's probably just your mad skills.

I have a cheap 50W (I think) iron with an analog adjustable temperature control, and using it when it's set to anything less that ~70-80% is miserable.

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:57 pm

There is lots of help for proper soldering over at Makezine. It's mostly about technique - better equipment helps, but knowing the right way to do things makes the biggest difference.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:36 pm

I don't like useing above 15W because the solder stays liquid too long. :oops:

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:09 pm

Although I can confidently say my soldering skillz have gotten substantially better with time and practice, I can also say that the quality of tools affects the quality of work. Make sure to keep the tip of your iron sharp, tinned, and as Bic said, HOT! My soldering (at least, on a finite basis), improved when I started using a Weller base station as opposed to my old RatShack iron.

As for your desoldering complaints, I've found that a soldering tool is best for massive amounts of solder, a soldering pump is best for most standard components, and desoldering braid should be used only for smaller components and pesky, lingering solder. When you say you're having trouble removing solder, have you tried mixing in small amounts of new, rosin core solder to start the flow? Or perhaps flux? Just checking, because if you're not, you should. :lol:

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:44 am

I only use cheap 30w irons, like this one:

They cost about £2 each and the same for postage.

And to desolder, desoldering braid; I have three thicknesses of the stuff.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:58 am

25Watter for me....Its plenty of power for almost all electronics. Having no problems.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."