Light sensors

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Bush
Light sensors

Post by Bush » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi, I want to make a simple circuit to power an LED. I want the led to turn on when a light sensor detects the absence of light. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a small light sensor I could use for this, one similar to those found in night lights. Thanks!

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Re: Light sensors

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:12 pm

You could possibly apart a night light and use that in combination of one of the night light bulbs that have leds in them. They sell bulbs that have like 3 white leds in them.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:23 pm

It's a really simple voltage divider circuit.
If you do the second of those circuits (the one with the photoresistor as R2), the voltage out the middle pin will increase as the amount of light decreases.

I would grab a random photoresistor then use a potentiometer for R1, so that you can adjust the sensitivity.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:26 pm

A dark sensor? EMSL has a great simple one:
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/nightlight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This circuit also works with a photoresistor (CDS cell) but it's best with a phototransistor.