Looking for easy project for first-time modder

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

gumbyx84
Looking for easy project for first-time modder

Post by gumbyx84 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Hey all.

I am kinda new to console and handheld modding. My first and only hardware mod was an afterburner kit for my GBA many moons ago , and that ended horribly (and with burnt finger-tips). I have recently (start of this year) started looking to hardware modding again as I work with someone who is a gamer and electronic engineer. The problem is I will be leaving said job soon, and while I will have contact with my engineering friend, it will be hard to meet up and have him help me with mods (also not fair to him as he usually does all the work for me).

Basically, I know I don't have the skills necessary to make/do the many mods I find here, but I want to try and learn. I need to work on my soldering skills and learn more about circuit/mother boards, but I want to work on something small while doing so. Does anyone here know of any easy mods that a novice can do?

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

PS I am currently trying to finish a GG LCD install mod with my friend. Again, he has done all of the work, but I have learned a bit.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Re: Looking for easy project for first-time modder

Post by eurddrue » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:26 pm

An awesome schematic that is nearly the same as one of my first projects. :D use 100MFD caps though, because with 10 it blinks too fast to register with your eyes.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:31 pm

I believe this is the perfect project for you to start with:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Recharg ... amplifier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks for the input. They both seem simple enough. Now just need to get this new job and apartment, and I will hopefully have the time, money, and space to try these out. :)

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:58 pm

Add a parallel port onto a SNES or NES controller for use one the computer.
Hack a CVS one time use digital video camera.
Make a usb charging cable for your DS/PSP

Those were my first projects

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:33 am

schmellyfart wrote:Add a parallel port onto a SNES or NES controller for use one the computer.
Hack a CVS one time use digital video camera.
Make a usb charging cable for your DS/PSP

Those were my first projects
I would do the parallel port SNES controller, but I only have a laptop, so no LPTP port for me. :(

Hacking the CVS camera sounds interesting. Also, making the USB DS charger cable would be nice. Would like one so I can charge my DS at work without needing to bring the charger with me (also can charge it in car with DC-to-USB adapter. Sadly, you gota carve up an existing DS charger. Going to have to try and find a cheap

If I can ask, would SNES-to-USB be hard? I have the two SNES controllers that came with my Retro Duo that are just sitting there (I use my original SNES controllers instead). Was going to buy adapters (forgot the website ATM), but would be interested in doing conversion. Would really like to just make my own adapters, but finding SNES extension cables is not that easy.

Edit:
I found a pre-fab SNES-to-USB circuit board online. (http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/nes2usb/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Its $5 cheaper then buying his pre-made adapter. Anyone mind taking a quick peek at it and confirming that its just a semi-simple soldering job?

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:15 am

Sadly, you gota carve up an existing DS charger. Going to have to try and find a cheap
Solder a female USB port onto the charger. Thay way you can power your ds and other usb devices. More or less a usb wall adapter.
I found a pre-fab SNES-to-USB circuit board online. (http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/nes2usb/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Its $5 cheaper then buying his pre-made adapter. Anyone mind taking a quick peek at it and confirming that its just a semi-simple soldering job?
Yes, just solder the usb and snes wires onto it. Here is a cheaper one for $15 http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=44

Alternatively, you can hack up a usb keypad. Only downside is you have to solder to each button.

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:51 am

schmellyfart wrote:
Sadly, you gota carve up an existing DS charger. Going to have to try and find a cheap
Solder a female USB port onto the charger. Thay way you can power your ds and other usb devices. More or less a usb wall adapter.
Yes, just solder the usb and snes wires onto it. Here is a cheaper one for $15 http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=44

Alternatively, you can hack up a usb keypad. Only downside is you have to solder to each button.
Take it using the USB keybaord would be the harder, but cheaper, way to do it right? I ask because I can grab an USB keybaord or 2 from the salvage area at work and use those. But if it a huge pain, might be better off just using the retroUSB board (thanks for linking that BTW; completely forgot about them making one). Just want a simple weekend project that I can experiment with. Controller mods seemed to be the easiest way to do it. ESP if I don't have to solder tiny points on a GBA board.

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:52 pm

gumbyx84 wrote:
schmellyfart wrote:

Take it using the USB keybaord would be the harder, but cheaper, way to do it right? I ask because I can grab an USB keybaord or 2 from the salvage area at work and use those. But if it a huge pain, might be better off just using the retroUSB board (thanks for linking that BTW; completely forgot about them making one). Just want a simple weekend project that I can experiment with. Controller mods seemed to be the easiest way to do it. ESP if I don't have to solder tiny points on a GBA board.
Yeah, more or less. It depends on how good you are at soldering. The board you have to solder to will most likely have small traces. And depending on its size, you night have to trim the inside of the case. Check the nnews section someone here did that with a snes controller.

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:17 pm

schmellyfart wrote:
gumbyx84 wrote:
schmellyfart wrote:

Yeah, more or less. It depends on how good you are at soldering. The board you have to solder to will most likely have small traces. And depending on its size, you night have to trim the inside of the case. Check the nnews section someone here did that with a snes controller.
Thanks for the heads up. Totally forgot about that. Asked him for info on how he did it and how hard it was. With any luck, I'll find out tomorrow and can make my decision (of using keyboard or custom circuit board) soon. After shower her his post, my GF is now very interested in me making this (she is a big retro gamer like myself) so I have added incentive :)

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Sweet. Keep us updated.

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 pm

After hearing back from legoboy, I think I'm going to just buy the pre-made board. He had to trace the keys with a multimeter, then make custom backings for the buttons with circuit board. That alone is a bit too much for me. By the look for the schematic for the pre-made board, all I should have to do is leave a bit of wire connected direct to the controller PCB, wire that to the correct contacts on the converter board, then solder the USB cable to the correct contacts and be done with it. (That sounds about right, right?) In other words, the $15 outweighs the extra work and equipment I will need to make it with a USB keyboard. I do want to try to do it that way (having a bunch of ROMs inside a controller does sound awsome) but with my limited skill set, I would rather do it the "easy" way first.

Now I just gota wait until I get my life in order (graduating from college soon, trying to get new job, need to get car and new apartment after finding new job, etc.) and I have the time and extra money to do this. :) Which hopefully will be soon.

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:11 pm

A really simple but useful project is to A/V mod a Sega Genesis if you have one.
\

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:55 am

kylechu wrote:A really simple but useful project is to A/V mod a Sega Genesis if you have one.
I was thinking of doing that. I haven't read any "simple" mods for a Model 1 Genesis though. I will have to do some research later today to find out how hard they are to do. Wouldn't mind have S-Video and stereo out on my Model 1 (which happens to be hooked up to Sega CD :) ).

brunoip

Post by brunoip » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:59 am

Mario wrote:I believe this is the perfect project for you to start with:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Recharg ... amplifier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have seen these before :D