I need an alternative to vacform and plaster casting

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Biased
I need an alternative to vacform and plaster casting

Post by Biased » Wed May 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm trying to find a way to replicate something using vacuum forming around the shape of the original object, and then layering some sort of resin to make a shell. The problem is that the object I want to replicate is expensive so I definitely don't want to risk damaging it by vac-forming hot plastic around it and suctioning air out and risk damaging it with any kind of pressure.

I want to find a way to make a cast to go over the original object, fill the cast with plaster for a ~1:1 model, touch up the shape a bit, and THEN vacuum form a mold over the plaster. (all this to preserve the condition of the original object.) After that I'll layer some sort of resin around the mold to make a shell. If there is some sort of material I can make the mold of without having to do the 2nd and 3rd steps I'm planning, it would be a great bonus and I would shower you with cookies and thanks.

My main question is this: What would be a good thing to make the original cast from? (Something that won't stick easily to the original surface or is known for being very gentle to plastic surfaces.)

tom61

Re: I need an alternative to vacform and plaster casting

Post by tom61 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:26 am

If it's that rare and valuable, it might be better to just have it 3D scanned and then CNC carve a mold.

Reaper P7
PSN Username:Haha... Yea Right
360 GamerTag:Subscription? Nah.
Steam ID:Refer to email to add me.

Re: I need an alternative to vacform and plaster casting

Post by Reaper P7 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:17 pm

You might be able to try using the methods that people use to create 1:1 resin molds of Warhammer 40,000 molds. Depends on size, etc.
If you don't mind my asking, what is this mystical object?