abs cement vs bondo?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

stuntpenguin007
abs cement vs bondo?

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm going to be starting on an N64 portable soon (glares at millions of other unfinished projects), and I'm wondering if it's better to use bondo or abs cement. For example, if cut a hole in my case and put in a piece of plastic with the button holes on it, do I bond it to the case with abs cement or bondo? Also, when I'm trying to bondo or abs cement the piece in, should I hold it in place with hot glue?
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: abs cement vs bondo?

Post by hailrazer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Bondo should only be used for small touch up spots. It isn't pliable so it will crack when used in large gaps.

Abs or epoxy should be used to bond the parts together. Then bondo is used at the very end to fill small pin holes and low spots.

You can use a dab of glue or tape to hold the part in place.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks. Any brand recommendations for abs cement? Or should I just go with whatever is easiest to get?
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

JonathanMC

Post by JonathanMC » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:20 pm

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... abs+cement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;