Case Dimensions?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Anxbox36o
Case Dimensions?

Post by Anxbox36o » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi, I am building an xbox laptop and need to get a case done so, I consulted multiple local CNC Fabrication businesses and many of them have told me that they are either confused on what exactly needs to be done or that they need exact dimensions on everything. Does anybody know what I should do or say to them? Any responce would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

collinE

Re: Case Dimensions?

Post by collinE » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:31 pm

say that you need peices cut to make essentially two flat boxes that you'll hinge together to make a laptop style case.

Unless you're going to spend a lot to have them design the case for you, you need to open up a drawing program, draw up a rough picture of what you want, and then label the dimensions from a single corner

Their guys will almost definitely have to spend a little bit of time cleaning up the drawing to get things to their liking, but that's what they'd need to help you. To them, their time is too valuable to just sit with you and design it for you.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Anxbox36o

Post by Anxbox36o » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:05 pm

But on the Engadget guide, it dosen't say anything about labeling dimensions. Are there dimensions pre-labeled that I could use? In Acrobat Reader, if I told them to zoom into actual size, could they use those dimensions? I honestly don't know what to label what or even how to label them. If I have to, I'll do what It takes.

collinE

Post by collinE » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:48 pm

I thought the same thing. I was like, "well, it's actual size sooo..." but they really didn't want to do it any other way.

here's an example of what I sent them and then they would talk to me about it:

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Anxbox36o

Post by Anxbox36o » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:21 am

Ahhh I see now. So then would labeling be my only option? Could you label it for me? There might be something in it for you!

Jaruff
PSN Username:Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:46 am

I knew there was a reason why I took a CAD class every year of high school. ;)

It's ALWAYS important to label every dimension on any plan you give to someone to create, whether it's a house or a bolt. Collin has the right idea on what they want you to provide them so that they can make you an accurate case. I would even suggest that you provide them with at least one side view as well. The more that you can provide them with, the happier they are. It allows them to perform a better job that will suit your expectations. Expecting a case that is 12 x 6 inches, for example, and receiving a case of that same size is much better than expecting a case of 'this size' x 'that size' and receiving something that is too short or too long.