Wooden Vac-formed case?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_
Wooden Vac-formed case?

Post by Zeturi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:43 pm

I was thinking it might look nice, with the right stuff. I think it would look epic, but since I'm not so experienced with vac-forming, I would appreciate some input.

What I'm wondering is, can I build a case out of wood, stain it, then vac-form thin plexiglass OVER it? So I could have a dark wooden case, but with a see-thru faceplate? Cut out the button holes and then I have a portable with a screen protector and a faceplate to protect the wood! And even better, I have to melt it to take apart! :lol:

EDIT: Grrrrrr freaking spelling errors.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

snowpenguin

Re: Wooden Vac-formed case?

Post by snowpenguin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:50 pm

I believe some members have stated much difficulty using plex for vac-forming. I don't remember what the good clear plastic is for this, one of the vac-form gods will tell you.

Sounds like a super idea, but I don't think you'd have to melt it to take it apart. Just glue the vac-formed halves onto the wood formed halves at the edges and put screws in the beck halve.

Good luck!

collinE

Re: Wooden Vac-formed case?

Post by collinE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:54 pm

If Life of Brian overlooks this post, you may want to PM him. I seem to remember reading something last year about him testing out some clear plastic he had.

I'd love to see a case with something like that on it.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous