Good case for N64p

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

DJ711
Location:Deep in the garage trying so very hard not to fry my N64. Oh! Also NY
Good case for N64p

Post by DJ711 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Hey guys, I'm attempting a N64p and have no prior work with cases but I would like to know what could I make a good looking case with, what would be a good case for me? I have my eyes on a ZN-45 or the intoplay case from Bacteria.
I haven't been here in awhile, and looking back it's one of the worst ideas I ever had. I'm back and I'll be here for awhile, I was quite active 1 year ago and I hope to become that again.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Good case for N64p

Post by bacteria » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:31 pm

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:41 pm

bacteria wrote:Image
It is nice getting customers isn't it? :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

DJ711

Post by DJ711 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:45 pm

bacteria wrote:Image
:lol: I told you might awhile ago. I was going for black but I could either paint it myself or deal with white
I haven't been here in awhile, and looking back it's one of the worst ideas I ever had. I'm back and I'll be here for awhile, I was quite active 1 year ago and I hope to become that again.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:33 pm

go with bacteria's

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DJ711

Post by DJ711 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:28 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:go with bacteria's

SS
Is making one out of ZN-45 that hard?

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:06 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:go with bacteria's

SS
Oh, the irony.
SS giving case advice. :lol:

Stereotypes etc. Not my personal beliefs etc.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:17 pm

lol yeah, his new n64p doesn't exactly ooze beauty *cough*plastic drawer*cough*

lol, jk, it's what he had on hand, if he had time he could make one much better.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 pm

So, DJ711........ :?: .... decision time ... which case system will you go for ... ? (da, da, dah! *drum roll*)

BTW, was going to make an N64 into my system as next (current) project; however I seem to have diverted myself into making a Turbo Grafx. I have four excellent game carts, including Galaga '90 which is the best version of Galaga, period. Got some chopping to do on the console board to make it smaller and some relocation to do, but very do-able. Removed the board from the casing, removed all the shielding, tested and the 10.2v line works happily on a 7.4v cell, all works fine, and my case is just big enough to hold all the chips and other important parts of the board, so I just have to remove the ext connector port and ignore the wiring, and rewire other bits. E-mailed Admin to see if a new forum section could be included, as many systems are not catered for; interesting systems, like Turbo Grafx, GX4000, Intellivision, Saturn, Jaguar. If a new forum section gets approved I can post my project progress, otherwise I have nowhere to post my WIP here, so everyone will need to wait until the project is completed! :roll: There is plenty of fun to be had modding other old consoles! :D I have only one board, cost me over £30 so I don't want to screw it up, and I don't think anyone has made a TG16 portable before, so I hope all will end up ok, especially when I get hacking the board!

DJ711

Post by DJ711 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 pm

bacteria wrote:So, DJ711........ :?: .... decision time ... which case system will you go for ... ? (da, da, dah! *drum roll*)

BTW, was going to make an N64 into my system as next (current) project; however I seem to have diverted myself into making a Turbo Grafx. I have four excellent game carts, including Galaga '90 which is the best version of Galaga, period. Got some chopping to do on the console board to make it smaller and some relocation to do, but very do-able. Removed the board from the casing, removed all the shielding, tested and the 10.2v line works happily on a 7.4v cell, all works fine, and my case is just big enough to hold all the chips and other important parts of the board, so I just have to remove the ext connector port and ignore the wiring, and rewire other bits. E-mailed Admin to see if a new forum section could be included, as many systems are not catered for; interesting systems, like Turbo Grafx, GX4000, Intellivision, Saturn, Jaguar. If a new forum section gets approved I can post my project progress, otherwise I have nowhere to post my WIP here, so everyone will need to wait until the project is completed! :roll: There is plenty of fun to be had modding other old consoles! :D I have only one board, cost me over £30 so I don't want to screw it up, and I don't think anyone has made a TG16 portable before, so I hope all will end up ok, especially when I get hacking the board!
I dunno, I thought you were gonna make a case for the N64. If you do I'll buy that, so my decison will be Bacteria's case, just as soon as I have enough money.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Cool. !

Using same case as did for the PSone project; I made it generic on purpose. To illustrate:

If you use slim heatsinks (eg 4mm high ones, like THESE ) and remove the reset switch, etc; your N64 mobo will be about 10mm thick in total. An N64 game cart is 18mm thick, so allow 20mm so it is easy to slot in and out of the case; total of 30mm thick needed. Cut my case to max thickness of about 32-33mm thick and as you see, there is enough height for an internal game cart, heatsinks and a layer of something thin (card, etc) to protect the heatsinks, and give enough airflow. You don't need to relocate the expansion pack / jumper pack either, jumper pack fits fine (bare board), expansion pack will just fit ok if surplus grounding removed from top of the bare expansion pack board. There is plenty of space above the port to have a relocated cart slot and completely internal game cart, so it doesn't stick out the top at all.

All planned, all fine; I just got a bit diverted from doing this project to work on Turbo Grafx. I will DEFINITELY do N64 on next project in the casings!

(pic is an illustration, board is in pic wrong way around!).

DJ711

Post by DJ711 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:06 pm

bacteria wrote:Cool. !

Using same case as did for the PSone project; I made it generic on purpose. To illustrate:

If you use slim heatsinks (eg 4mm high ones, like THESE ) and remove the reset switch, etc; your N64 mobo will be about 10mm thick in total. An N64 game cart is 18mm thick, so allow 20mm so it is easy to slot in and out of the case; total of 30mm thick needed. Cut my case to max thickness of about 32-33mm thick and as you see, there is enough height for an internal game cart, heatsinks and a layer of something thin (card, etc) to protect the heatsinks, and give enough airflow. You don't need to relocate the expansion pack / jumper pack either, jumper pack fits fine (bare board), expansion pack will just fit ok if surplus grounding removed from top of the bare expansion pack board. There is plenty of space above the port to have a relocated cart slot and completely internal game cart, so it doesn't stick out the top at all.

All planned, all fine; I just got a bit diverted from doing this project to work on Turbo Grafx. I will DEFINITELY do N64 on next project in the casings!

(pic is an illustration, board is in pic wrong way around!).

Sounds very good. Just one question, Spray painting the case won't damage it right?

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:12 pm

DJ711 wrote:Sounds very good. Just one question, Spray painting the case won't damage it right?
Not unless you decide that you don't like the paint.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

DJ711

Post by DJ711 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:17 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:
DJ711 wrote:Sounds very good. Just one question, Spray painting the case won't damage it right?
Well it'd be black. You can't really go wrong with the color black on technology or cars. This brings new meaning to the phrase "Once you go black, you never go back." To me right now.... :lol:

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:20 pm

DJ711 wrote:
nevermind1534 wrote:
Well it'd be black. You can't really go wrong with the color black on technology or cars. This brings new meaning to the phrase "Once you go black, you never go back." To me right now.... :lol:
My dad went black, then he went back.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"