Recommend good dremel bit for fine tuning a cut

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

ckrtech
Recommend good dremel bit for fine tuning a cut

Post by ckrtech » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Saw Super Cameraman's thread about using a dremel. Think I may need to do some semi-precision work with one later tonight. Need a good bit recommendation for a certain job.

Most of my dremel work has been with polishing and straight forward (no pun intended) cutting. Haven't really used the other bits before. Please forgive my lack of experience.

I made a cut in an aluminum strip for a power switch to fit, and I had a bit of garbage left inside. Here's a simple graphic:

I need to remove the raised area inside the cut (grey filled spot) to make it a bit more rectangular. Can someone recommend a good bit to use to clean that out? My plan is to try sorting through my bag o bits when I get home today and make a guess, but I would rather see if one of the experts here could drop me a quick line.

Thanks.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:38 pm

For fine detail work like that, it's better to use a hand file. A Dremel bit spinning at high speeds can take too much material off too quickly.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:14 pm

not to mention that it's likelier to slip, as it's spinning!

ckrtech

Post by ckrtech » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Ahh. My fears are being confirmed. Haha. Sounds like doing this by hand is the smart route to go.