2nd controller for SNESp?

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian
2nd controller for SNESp?

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:03 pm

Has anyone had any experience adding a controller port on the SNESp for a second player to just plug in and play along with you? I was thinking that I'd basically use Ben's design for the case, but make a space somewhere convenient so that a standard SNES controller could plug in (Mario Kart just isn't the same by yourself). How would this affect power consumption? I'd be grateful for some pointers or just mere informed speculation.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:06 pm

All you'd really have to do is desolder/remove the connector and extend it with ribbon cable.

It wouldn't sap any power when there's no second controller attatched, and there's not much more power drain when there's a controler plugged in, I think...

If you plan on doing 2-player games, you may want to concider adding an AV-out jack so you can play it on the TV if possible. (or at least use a PSone screen. ;))

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:55 pm

I agree with bicostp, you should not worry about power consumption, and you might want to add the AV jack from the original SNES (just connect every wire from the board to its respective location on the jack) and use your original AV cable. The only problem you might have is that the controller ports on the SNES (at least the mini-SNES) is that are connected together, so you will need to saw them apart.

Life of Brian

Thanks

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:59 am

Thank you very much guys. I do plan on using a PSOne screen (soon as I get my hands on one for a good price). I'm not too keen on the AV jack idea though. I can't seem to figure out how to have the AV jack still in and have the system hooked up to the portable's screen and speakers at the same time. Could there be some way to toggle the connections?

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:49 am

just have it display on the t-v and portable screen nothiing bad will happen from it
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

SpongeBuell

Re: Thanks

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:30 am

joedog86 wrote:Thank you very much guys. I do plan on using a PSOne screen (soon as I get my hands on one for a good price). I'm not too keen on the AV jack idea though. I can't seem to figure out how to have the AV jack still in and have the system hooked up to the portable's screen and speakers at the same time. Could there be some way to toggle the connections?
A while ago, Toys R Us had them pretty cheap, but they may be gone by now. Otherwise, they don't cost a whole lot on ebay :)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

usbcd36

Re: Thanks

Post by usbcd36 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:07 am

joedog86 wrote:Thank you very much guys. I do plan on using a PSOne screen (soon as I get my hands on one for a good price). I'm not too keen on the AV jack idea though. I can't seem to figure out how to have the AV jack still in and have the system hooked up to the portable's screen and speakers at the same time. Could there be some way to toggle the connections?
Yeah, instead of switching all of the connections, switch the ground via an SPDT switch, system ground in the center, screen ground on one side, AV jack ground on the other. That is the solution I am using for my N64p, except I'm using a microswitch inside the multi-out connector.

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:00 pm

So if you have a LCD screen soldered on. Then take the SNES plug and plug it into the TV. Will the TV image appear or you need a DIP switch or something.
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:55 pm

The signal will go to both, they will get darker, but it will work just fine anyway. As for getting a good signal, you don't have to switch all of the connections, just the ground. That way, you can use a normal SPDT switch.

Life of Brian

Thank you

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:09 am

Awesome info. Thank you so much guys. I can't wait to try those ideas out.