Error on page 156 - Wrong regulator - Use LM317T

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

scherubino
Error on page 156 - Wrong regulator - Use LM317T

Post by scherubino » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:40 pm

On page 158, it says to use a 7805 regulator on the right board. You must use a LM317T Regulator like the diagram on pg 158 says.

Otherwise you will not get video or audio.

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:35 am

Thanks for the info
External Computer ERROR
please replace User
C64p Pal:
I've build some connectors for disk and keyboard, the screen has been taken apart and the case has been modded a bit

dajudge

Post by dajudge » Sun May 07, 2006 4:32 pm

that may have solved my problem...

i get no audio or video... screen ocomes on but thats it....

thanks

chris

scherubino

Post by scherubino » Mon May 08, 2006 11:20 am

dajudge,

give me more details about your set-up and I can help you get it working.

dajudge

Post by dajudge » Mon May 08, 2006 7:14 pm

My setup follows what ben had in his book.

I built an NESp using the PSone LCD screen with the LED mod.

Everything is getting voltage from a 9.6v RC battery pack.

Replaced the variable voltage regulator with the correct version.

Whenever i flip the swtich on, my screen pops up and i recieve a light grey color on my screen. If there is a cartridge in then same screen. There is a slight flicker if the cartridge is depressed as if it were being removed, but that is about it. No audio to speak of. I have ordered a new 72 pin connector and hope that it comes in before the project is due on wednsday.

thanks, chris

scherubino

Post by scherubino » Tue May 09, 2006 10:49 am

chris,

sounds like it is pretty much hooked up ok. THe screen is lighing up grey whcih means it is getting power. The only thing you need is video. If you are receiving a flicker than that is a good sign. It usually means the NES is hooked up to the screen properly. In my experience, the cartridge slot works fine if you clean it as in bens book. I actuallystick a piece of sandpaper in and out after I bend up the pins like ben says.

Another thing is this: Remember the Nintendo video signal is not strong emough to show in the screen which is why Ben has you build the video amplification circuit on one of the boards. Make sure you are using the correct transistor and that the circuit is wired correctly. and that the screen is hooked up properly to it. Also make sure it is getting the necessary 5V power.

Another thing is making sure all the Ground connections are wired properly. you should be able to touch any ground connection and it should be connected to every other ground connection in the entire unit.
Numerous times, My units did not work becasue I forgot to connected the ground points together.

Hope this helps - let me now if you need anymore help.
-Steve

dajudge

Post by dajudge » Tue May 09, 2006 5:24 pm

Ive checked all the grounds and everything is in good shape, and the transistor checked out as ok. I was wondering if there is a favor i could ask. Could you check the Voltage running from the video amplifier to the NES for me? i am getting 1.7v from the left pc board ( as viewed from the read) to the NES mobo video ( the one by the 5 volt in and the audio in)

thanks, chris