PS3 to VGA Monitor? *A toughy*

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

merchinax
Re: PS3 to VGA Monitor? *A toughy*

Post by merchinax » Sat May 30, 2009 11:46 pm

Will the the nvidia 9600gt work properly using a dvi to vga adapter? My monitor only supports a vga connector, not dvi. The 9600gt only has a dvi connection, so if use a dvi to vga adapter to connect my monitor, will i get a good and stable image on the screen? Also, will i lose any picture quality?
Last edited by merchinax on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun May 31, 2009 5:54 am

merchinax wrote:Will the the nvidia 9600gt work properly using a dvi to vga adapter? My monitor only supports a vga connector, not dvi. The 9600gt only has a dvi connection, so if use a dvi to vga adapter to connect my monitor, will i get a good and stable image on the screen? Also, will i lose any picture quality?
It will work fine and you will not lose any quality.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun May 31, 2009 9:03 am

hailrazer wrote:
merchinax wrote:Will the the nvidia 9600gt work properly using a dvi to vga adapter? My monitor only supports a vga connector, not dvi. The 9600gt only has a dvi connection, so if use a dvi to vga adapter to connect my monitor, will i get a good and stable image on the screen? Also, will i lose any picture quality?
Not true! You will lose SOME quality, and the resolution will not be able to go as high.

Although if it's a VGA monitor it wasn't capable of the extra quality anyway :lol:

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sun May 31, 2009 11:12 am

XCVG wrote:
hailrazer wrote:
Not true! You will lose SOME quality, and the resolution will not be able to go as high.

Although if it's a VGA monitor it wasn't capable of the extra quality anyway :lol:
What I said is 100% true for the application which he wants to use it for.

Now if we were talking about a much higher resolution than 1080p and a huge 140" or bigger picture you might see some difference.

But with 1080p and smaller resolution and a small screen size 99.9% of the time you will not see any difference between Vga and Dvi.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun May 31, 2009 7:48 pm

hailrazer wrote:
XCVG wrote:
hailrazer wrote:

What I said is 100% true for the application which he wants to use it for.

Now if we were talking about a much higher resolution than 1080p and a huge 140" or bigger picture you might see some difference.

But with 1080p and smaller resolution and a small screen size 99.9% of the time you will not see any difference between Vga and Dvi.
Well I had my computer connected to my monitor with VGA. 1280X768 widescreen res. Desktop text is nearly unreadable. Add DVI cable, now the text is perfect.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sun May 31, 2009 9:33 pm

Well I had my computer connected to my monitor with VGA. 1280X768 widescreen res. Desktop text is nearly unreadable. Add DVI cable, now the text is perfect.
Yep and I had a cat once that barked just like a dog. Point is that anything is possible. Could have been your cable, could have been your graphics card, could have been your monitor.

But in general a vga connection on most resolutions and monitors (1920x1200 and less and smaller than like a projection screen) is going to be indiscernible from a dvi connection. All monitors and cards though have different scaling capabilities and different components in them with differing qualities. So your results may vary. But 99.9% of the time no-one would notice a difference.
My Portable Systems:

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:10 am

It's probably the bloody widescreen aspect ratio.

And you can make a cat sound like a dog by dousing it in gasoline and lighting it on fire.

In any case, it's probably not a good idea to argue with a real portabilizer.

beatriziya

Post by beatriziya » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:24 am

What is a better camera on a cell phone: digital or vga? You know how some cell phones have VGA cameras and others have Digital Cameras built in to them? Well, which kind is better? Digital or VGA?