i FINALLY got Ben Heck's book...

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

sweetsuzuki

Post by sweetsuzuki » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:37 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Scherubino bought his PSOne screens in bulk from Best Buy, although some don't have it. They sold them for $25 a screen. Keep in mind, though, it was the Zenith screen, not the Sony.

You can learn quite a bit from Ben's book to use on other projects, but it won't be enough to jump in and start building a DCp. You need a bit more knowledge than that!

As far as the soldering iron, you WILL use it! You'll also need a desoldering iron.

A word of advice from one who has tried Ben's projects: I actually found Ben's portables to be quite aggrivating, especially if you are building by hand. If you cut the case even 1mm too small, nothing will fit and you've gotta start over again. Plus, the aluminum is very hard to bend. Another downside is that tact switches aren't press-sensitive, so they default when playing. Ex: When playing Mario and you want to jump farther, you push the button harder and hold it longer, right? WRONG! (at least with a tact switch). The tact switch just reads it as a button press, and Mario preforms a standard jump. My advice: use Ben's book and this forum as a guide to build your own custom portable with REAL controllers in it!

CTFan
The standard buttons on any thing but Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS2 controllers are not pressure sensitive. The jump example on mario is mistaken. To make mario jump far. you just hold the button down longer.
I've played original mario on my computer keyboard, and there is nodifference (besides using fingers, not thumbs :D)
I feel the need...
... The Need For Speed!!!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:40 pm

Are you sure? There was a thread about this somewhere. Someone said using tact switches they couldn't make a long jump in DK, but on their SNES home console they could. Someone said that it was because, even as early as SNES, buttons were pressure sensitive. It was a reliable source, too. It may have been Gannon, I can't remember. I'll see if I can find it.

CTFan

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:45 pm

Actually yea, it IS pressure sensitive. Apparently, something on the board realized how hard the PCB was being pressed, and it was differently programmed. Tactiles just send a signal, whereas that sensitivity is not present... :?
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:59 pm

Hah, I ordered Ben's book from bn.com for $18, it was used though.
What is all this I hear about the NES buttons being pressure sensitive? I thought they were just your standard PCB maze-pad-thing-a-majigs.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:59 pm

I thought I was right. Thanks, demonfaj!