Sega Dreamcast Portable (First Portable) PICS

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

hy phrend
Sega Dreamcast Portable (First Portable) PICS

Post by hy phrend » Tue May 06, 2008 7:43 am

Finished my Sega Dreamcast Portable. I have a link to a video I put up on youtube so if you want a more in depth view check that out.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXfVpkp2chg">
Link to Youtube Video</a>

The case is made out of pieces of acrylic. All the components on the inside are mounted with screws. I don't like the look of globs and piles of hot glue so everything that could be mounted by screws was. So all the controls are (except the triggers), the screen, and the Dreamcast motherboard are screwed in. I used a pico psu and am in the process of purchasing a battery for it right now but it runs off 12v. Got some pictures here so take a look and keep in mind this is my first portable. :D I will also be looking to sell this in the next few weeks.

Front view

Angled view. It's a little blurry but you get the just of it.

From Front, back lid up

Inside

Dreamcast Swirl

Main Menu

Slave Zero=amazing!

Four Wheel Thunder
Last edited by hy phrend on Tue May 06, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCP---Done

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue May 06, 2008 9:26 am

Great job! On your fourth picture, that clear little tab on the inside of the lid - is that for sensing when the lid is closed?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Tue May 06, 2008 10:04 am

Nice work joining the acrylic at the seams! It looks really professional. Is the lid on the back held closed by a magnetic catch?
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Tue May 06, 2008 11:23 am

@Life of Brian---Yes that clear tab on the left side is to tell the Dreamcast the lid is closed. I got pretty lucky on it and cut the piece out on my first try without measuring.

@Tibia---Yes it is held on by one magnet. Also the hinges gave it a little resistance so that it doesn't just swing freely.
DCP---Done

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue May 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Nice looking DCp. Good job on it hy phrend! :D 8)

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username:FullFreak
360 GamerTag:GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Tue May 06, 2008 3:42 pm

Awsome mod! I got a question. Whenever you swap games you need to open up the console?

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Tue May 06, 2008 3:45 pm

@frankO---yeah you do. the reason I did it like that is because i really wanted a flat back. I don't like the ones with the "hunch backs" and stuff. Plus gives you full access to the inside if ever needed.
DCP---Done

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Wed May 07, 2008 1:22 am

Yes, nice work. How thick is the system, and is it comfortable to use in your hands?

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Wed May 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Good job !

I knew you would do something cool !

Are the ABXY button weird or is it me ?

Great stuff man and probably one of the slimest DCp in there!

FG

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Wed May 07, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.

@bacteria---The system is a little less than 2.5" last time I checked. It feels comfortable for me but I have been told to have big hands. Could have been a little thinner because this has a revision two board in it which doesn't have the pesky board for the GD-ROM. Everything just plugs right into the MOBO. But as this is my first portable and didn't want it to die from over heating (precaution), I took some added measures to ensure its life. One thing I did was I took the metal shield that was originally on the DC and drilled out the rivets for the piece of metal underneath it which acted as a heat sink to distribute the heat which is then pulled out by the fan.

@familyguy---The ABXY buttons stick out a little ways and they spin around. That may be what you are talking about. Just a design flaw I had.

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Wed May 07, 2008 4:35 pm

hy phrend wrote: @familyguy---The ABXY buttons stick out a little ways and they spin around. That may be what you are talking about. Just a design flaw I had.
Well I mean that the "shape" they doesn't seem like what I'm used to. It's more of a losange than a tilted rectangle.

Btw, as long as it's comfortable it's great, it just caugh my attention !

Good job again !

FG

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Wed May 07, 2008 5:04 pm

Haha well I don't think i know what you are trying to say but its all good!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed May 07, 2008 5:50 pm

Nice! A Dreamcast portable is no easy task, and you made it quite attractive to boot. :P

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Wed May 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks! I have been receiving quite a bit of criticism over it on various websites that have embedded my video so it's nice to hear some people like it.

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Wed May 07, 2008 9:09 pm

hy phrend wrote:Thanks! I have been receiving quite a bit of criticism over it on various websites that have embedded my video so it's nice to hear some people like it.
People are complaining, but couild certianly not do better themselves. It's easy to say something could be better. It's another to do it half as good as you'd want to.

You did agreat job especially for a first portable, don't listen to those people !

FG