Whats my problem?: Gamecube Regulator Board (pics included)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Stratocaster
Whats my problem?: Gamecube Regulator Board (pics included)

Post by Stratocaster » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:59 pm

I'm having trouble reattaching my the gamecube power regulator to the rest of the system. I've soldered it already, but I've done something wrong and I don't know what.

I based my pinouts on this:
and this:
Gamelver wrote:
All right here's a pinout of the power regulator voltages:

first of all here's how the power regulator board looks:

all you really have to worry about are pins 12-22. pin 13 is 3.4v, pins 16-18 are 1.9v, pin 21 is 12v, and pin 22 is 5v. also you have to make sure you have ground.
here's the pins on the GC ( that box with the lines is the heatsink....I suck at paint):

pins 2 and 13 need 3.4v, pins 6,7,16,17,18,19 need 1.9v, pin 10 needs 12v, and pins 11 and 22 need 5v. just make sure that the pins that I've grouped together, like 6, 7, 16, 17, 18, 19 are connected together. they should be, though.

and that's how you only need 5 wires to attach the gc power regulator board to the GC board!!!!!!!!!!!!! that "bit of bad news" was that a gc regulator had fried and so I ordered another one....

* oh yeah if you turn on your GC and you don't get any sound, try getting the 12v not from the pin on the GC power regulator, but directly from the actual GC ac adapter. I also tried that from the 14.8v li-poly battery pack and it worked fine.
and these are my pictures:
The last one is for easy following, incase the first 2 are hard to make out. I connected ground from pin 1 to pin 1, and that is probably my most likely problem. I also soldered all the pins connected in the picture together and connected one wire to them. Except for the 1.9V, I Connected 3 wires to that because it started with the most things to connect. Also I just realized I soldered pin 10 to pin 21 on the motherboard. Thats a possible problem too.
What do you all think?

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:43 am

I made my connections/wiring using this gamevelver´s old post
Gamelver wrote:All right here's a pinout of the power regulator voltages:

first of all here's how the power regulator board looks:

all you really have to worry about are pins 12-22. pin 13 is 3.4v, pins 16-18 are 1.9v, pin 21 is 12v, and pin 22 is 5v. also you have to make sure you have ground.
here's the pins on the GC ( that box with the lines is the heatsink....I suck at paint):

pins 2 and 13 need 3.4v, pins 6,7,16,17,18,19 need 1.9v, pin 10 needs 12v, and pins 11 and 22 need 5v. just make sure that the pins that I've grouped together, like 6, 7, 16, 17, 18, 19 are connected together. they should be, though.

and that's how you only need 5 wires to attach the gc power regulator board to the GC board!!!!!!!!!!!!! that "bit of bad news" was that a gc regulator had fried and so I ordered another one....

* oh yeah if you turn on your GC and you don't get any sound, try getting the 12v not from the pin on the GC power regulator, but directly from the actual GC ac adapter. I also tried that from the 14.8v li-poly battery pack and it worked fine.
it worked fine for me.

anyway if you get problems reading the diagrams, you can wire one per one all the wires to the regulator board from the gc, like techknott did.

here is techknott pic

techknott
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by techknott » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:38 am

Ive rewired it now. Going to use a different psu, but heres a better pinout for ya.

Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:27 am

I've tried what you had techknott and I'm pretty sure I have everything exactly as you do, but it still doesn't work! I'm really frustrated at this point. I might try wiring them all together, but that will take up more room than I can afford to waste. I soldered the pinouts together on the motherboard that go together, such as all the 1.9V ones, could that be a problem? Also earlier I turned it on after the 3.4V wire had come unsoldered and it was touching the 1.9V pinout. Would that burn something out? Is my regulator board toast or my mother board even? You all should also know it seems to begin to turn on when I press the power button. It gives a black screen (screen is a blue color before cube turns on) for a second and makes a sound like its turning on. So it seems something is getting through...
HELP!

techknott

Post by techknott » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:33 am

Best thing to do is bust out the multi-meter and check the voltages on each line. Also, check for shorts etc, and maybe try starting again from scratch. You definitely dont need every wire connecting up.

Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:55 am

Thanks I tried that and I could get 12V going in, but nothing seems to get past that point. I figured I should put the + on the pinout from the regulator board, and the - on ground of the the board or even on the boarder of the mobo. I tried a lot of things, but nothing seems to work. Looks like I gotta start over with my other cube... (Ya, I have 2)

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:05 am

like techknott said get a multimiter and check the individual voltages lines, also.

try also desolder everything , and check the voltage lines from the regulator board.

if you dont got any voltage probably the fuse will be broken.

then you will need replace or bridge it,I wasnt able to get a replacement fuse, so I bridged at my old regulator board when I shorted it.

there is a few different regulator boards, if you got the one techknott have, the fuse is at the other side, it is brown, and it have painted on it "2 A"

after bridge the fuse, test again with multimeter for all pins volt.

if still without work, time for a new regulator board.

but if works try also rewire wire per wire all pins, if still having problems maybe your gc mobo is fried and need to replace it

Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks for your help, as usual you both are very helpful. It works now, the problem I believe was I fried the motherboard... thank God I had 2.

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:24 pm

techknott, I have a question

after wire your cube like your pic, did it power on?

I´m asking this , cause I wired about 3 gc mobos with your configuration, and all of them stoped to work, Then, I turned back into gamevelvers config (the one allways worked for me) and all of them seems definitly fried. :evil:

EDIT: the 1.9v and the 3.4v pins wired at your motherboard side, seems diferent from gamevelvers diagram, probably those are causing trouble.
Of course, I´m talking about this pic:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk19 ... Pinout.jpg
Last edited by kasar on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:25 am, edited 5 times in total.

dragonball345

Post by dragonball345 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:29 pm

just wire everything and save yourself guess work and other trouble. Its what i plan on doing.

techknott

Post by techknott » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:32 am

kasar wrote:techknott, I have a question

after wire your cube like your pic, did it power on?

I´m asking this , cause I wired about 3 gc mobos with your configuration, and stoped work, Then, I turned back into gamevelvers config (the one allways worked for me) and seems definitly fried
Yes it defo works.