Gamecube Portable (abandoned)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:52 am

first of all: thanks a lot for share with us the pinouts

I also have some questions

1- are you going to keep working the memcard slot B? are you going to keep slot A, or make a "built in" memcard at slot A?

2- how about the controller ports, are you going to remove the controllers board like me, and wire controller 1, reset,led, and cmos battery directly to the mobo? or are you going to keep the controller board with those stuff?

I´m also curius about how you will fix the orange,slim and short lazer cable, it is very sensitive and weak, so it is a bit dangerous handle it. good luck mate. :wink:

techknott
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by techknott » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 am

Your very welcome.

Im not keeping any memory card slots at all, i plan on having one built in. Im playing with the idea of having an SD slot for gecco on #2 though, im also thinking anout 'chipping' it.

No controller ports at all either. Led, battery, controller 1 etc will go straight to mobo like yours.

The orange laser cable will be soldered to using enamel wire and soldered to the board. It is very weak, your right but it can be done easy enough if care is taken. Im a very experienced solderer so im confident. :D

Ill be doing more on it tomorrow, so pics to follow.

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:20 am

I see :)

anyway I saw a little issue, if you are going to make a built in memcard at the slot a, the sd gecko can be built in at B slot, but I´m sad to tell you, lot of homebrew stuff working with sdgecko are designed to get it from A slot (I had it and tested lot of stuff), so this is a problem (cant plug memcard and sd gecko at sametime at the A slot)

what are the uses you want give to SD gecko? maybe it is easier simply get a modchip for load homebrew and backups at the system.

or if you are using it for mass storage for gc linux or something else this can be a problem too.

I´m also curius for see your next pics, this new system is very promising :twisted:

techknott

Post by techknott » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of those issues. They're just a few ideas anyway. I suppose if I just chip it, I can run all homebrew etc from a DVD, it would've just been a bit easier.
if you are going to make a built in memcard at the slot a, the sd gecko can be built in at B slot, but I´m sad to tell you, lot of homebrew stuff working with sdgecko are designed to get it from A slot
What about the other way around??

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:31 am

yeah, modchip it should be easier.

if you are looking for a nice chip, qoobpro is the best modchip I saw for gc.
have built in memory for flash via usb some dols or bios, also have an ar compatible engine ,You can burn a data dvd with lot of folders,.dols, and stuff , and the qoob will let you explore and run dols from there ;) (but remember dont burn more than 1,35 gb if you are using big dvds)
also is very easy to install, only 5 wires.

if you are wondering the size of the chip it is like the regulator board of the gc, well, a little more slim ^^

techknott wrote:What about the other way around??
uhhh? what other way are you talking about?? :lol:

techknott

Post by techknott » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 am

Gecko only runs some stuff from A, so why not permanantly install Gecko in A and mem card in B?

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:12 pm

cause all , or at least most of games only save/load from slot A
if gecko installed at the A slot cannot save while it is inserted (you cannot save gc games saves into a sd card,the gc tell you it is an incorrect item , or just give a error)

the sd gecko is only a compliment of ar for load homebrew, or a homebrew compliment.

for example, while I had it, I put lof of dols inside, then I flashed a dol into my qoob flash, ( that aplication only readed the sd card and made a list with the dols found, and allow you lunch them)

resuming, if you are going to remove the A port, and put a memorycard built in, forgot about use sdgecko (for that reason I still using both slots at my new portable)

I think the only way posible doing this is any kind of switch that turn the sdgecko board on and the memcard board off, and same backwards, but that will be dificult, lot of wires to switch.

So my advice is, get one memcard of 2048 blocks /128 MB (this is the better one with lot of blocks for gc i think) cut a few the memcard board and put it built in at the A slot for get minimal space posible.

techknott

Post by techknott » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:55 pm

DVD laser cables wired up. The blobs are just flux, needs a clean.

Jusat noticed now that a couple of traces are actually dead ends. Doh, go into autopilot when soldering stuff like this.... :roll:

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:14 pm

I always wondered why those dead ends are there, if they don't do anything, why would they bother adding them?

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:57 pm

nice wiring man.

as you said, there are some dead or unnecesary traces.

will you share those pinouts?

ptj

Post by ptj » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:34 pm

looking closer at that strip i see there are some soldering pads towards the base of it, why not use those?
working on a gamecube laptop...

techknott

Post by techknott » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:34 am

looking closer at that strip i see there are some soldering pads towards the base of it, why not use those?
Swings and roundabouts. Makes no odds really.

Waiting for some bits to arrive, so today ive been doing the LCD for RGB. Here's a schematic. Note, this is for a PAL gamecube.

Ive also included composite on the diagram for some reason.

Image[/quote]

techknott

Post by techknott » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:55 am

Stillwaiting for my chip to come and need to find a memory card at a car boot this weekend. So, I did the heatsink today. Its basically just the gamecube one with the fins chopped off and a modded heatpipe and heatsink. It came from exactly the same processor thats in the GC. There are still a few mods to be done to it, but this is the jist.

My CNC contact has also gone on holiday for a fortnight, so my case wont be done until then either. I do however have the overall dimensions of it. Also, i decided to go portrate with it as i can get it much much smaller that way, and its less common too.

The dimensions will be: 30mm Thick, 120mm Wide, 170mm Long. To put this into perspective, the PSP is 24mm Thick, 75mm Wide, 170mm Long.

Stratocaster

Post by Stratocaster » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:33 am

Wow, I really can't wait to see this one done, incredibly small.

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:09 am

nice work techknott, your gcp will be probably the smaller and tiny here.

I´m curius about how you will hack the controller board, screen to fit there.
Last edited by kasar on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.