Substitue joystick with sega genesis d-pad?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

geno whirl
Substitue joystick with sega genesis d-pad?

Post by geno whirl » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi I am new here and I would like to make my first portable but for now at least, I am on the idea phase where I am thinking what would make the best n64p. I have looked at many n64ps and seen how sometimes the d-pad is either thrown on there or left off but is sometimes necessary for several games (so if it's gone, that prevents you from playing those games). I got the idea of leaving off the d-pad AND the joystick and replacing it with an 8 direction d-pad then install a switch which could make it work as a d-pad or a joystick depending on the game. I started searching the internet for different controllers and found that the sega genesis has an 8 direction d-pad. Would it be possible to hook the genesis d-pad up to and n64 and use it?
argelfraster wrote:
Designer noob wrote:umm, well that sucks. I was going to buy one for my next portable (After, my WIV) and then franklin case it.
:facepalm:
Frankencase.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: Substitue joystick with sega genesis d-pad?

Post by blaze3927 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:54 pm

no not at all im afraid due to the n64's joystick being a bit "different" to most other joystick interfaces. there is a tiny chance is possible because a few guys managed to reverse engineer the gamecube joystick to get it to work on the n64.
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:59 pm

It could be done. You'd have to use a 3rd party controller, due to the way the joysticks work in the official vs 3rd party. You'll probably have to wire up resistors to each direction, but you could get it to work. The only problem is you'd lose the fine control of the joystick (characters would always be running, etc). You could do the opposite, and have a joystick that could also act as a d-pad. I think there was a thread about it recently, I'll let you or someone else dig it up.

@blaze: 3rd party N64 controllers use the same style of joysticks as modern controllers.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Well the only other thing about not having a joystick is that a d-pad doesn't protrude as much
argelfraster wrote:
Designer noob wrote:umm, well that sucks. I was going to buy one for my next portable (After, my WIV) and then franklin case it.
Frankencase.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:24 pm

That is a good point..
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:34 am

id kill for a slim n64 joystick right now :P
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:11 pm

If anyone knows how you could do this, could you possibly draw out a diagram?
argelfraster wrote:
Frankencase.